Why doesn't my computer exist???

Speedstang

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015
Ok, so basically my other computer is a Dell Optiplex 330, however, it has a sticker on it that says n series. Whenever I search the computer though every optiplex 330 that comes up looks the same, except they all have core 2 duo processors, while mine has a pentium processor, and yes the processor is stock, the computer has the pentium sticker. I've tried searching the n series thing, but I only get random irrelevant results. What does the n series thing mean, and why the does my computer not show up on dell or anywhere on google???

Solution
Probably customized, a lot of companies will try to knock a few bucks off each unit by picking smaller hard drives, less/slower RAM, older/no OS preinstalled, etc. Whoever ordered this one must have opted for a lower cost processor - presumably the bean-counters told the purchasing manager the impact to work wouldn't be a factor (and depending on what the workload and tasks were, it very well could.)

Saberus

Distinguished
Probably customized, a lot of companies will try to knock a few bucks off each unit by picking smaller hard drives, less/slower RAM, older/no OS preinstalled, etc. Whoever ordered this one must have opted for a lower cost processor - presumably the bean-counters told the purchasing manager the impact to work wouldn't be a factor (and depending on what the workload and tasks were, it very well could.)

Solution

Speedstang

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015

That's no surprise, the shop we got it from was a scam, he stole RAM from another computer we brought in to repair, and the Windows on the optiplex is fake. Nothing can really be done anymore, I got the computer like 4 years ago.\
Anyways, thanks for the help! :D

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
Well from what I could find the n version is still just a 330 but instead of shipping with an OS they were contractually not allowed to ship it with Microsoft, so instead came with freeBSD or some other linux variant. Article here from 2005 lol http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/06/dell_open_pc/

As for the pentium (assume it was pentium d something 3-3.4ghz) it's possible probably someone just bought the cheapest version around the manual itself states the common spec was a e2160 http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optix_330_techspecs.pdf which would have been the dualcore 1.8ghz cpu which was launched in Q3 2006

Saying that CPU supported list is fairly long going all the way to the e8500 wolfdale cpus. 775 sure lived a long life compared to current standards changing sockets almost every year.