[SOLVED] Why doesn't my mouse 4 and 5 work?

vascojesus9

Prominent
Aug 19, 2018
I have a razer deathadder elite and it has 2 side buttons, and 2 buttons on top to change dpi. I don't know why but they don't work at all in any of my games when I try to put them as keybinds and even the dpi changers dont work either. I've had this mouse for about 2 1/2 years but there shouldnt be anything wrong with it in terms of hardware because my m1 m2 and mmb all work and only the dpi and 2 side buttons are dysfunctional

Solution
The mouse is around 2 and 1/2 years old, I bought it with my laptop but the buttons stopped working about a year ago, I just finally decided to make this post to see ig anyone could help
It could be dirt stuck down in the crevices of the switches, which is what the button actuators are called. Yeah, I know, top brands rate they're mouse switches to last for tons of clicks, but I'm sure they probably test them in best case scenario air filtered sterile environments. In such cases a machine is used to make the clicks. That means no typical dust or human skin oils, or tiny fragments of shed skin particles, which can reek havoc on tiny switches.

If you're good at taking things apart, I would have a go at cleaning your mouse. There...
Yes that is the case for some games but the buttons don't seem to work at all, like I stated before even my dpi buttons on my mouse don't work
I would then suspect the software for the mouse may either have compatibility issues, need updating, or resetting.

My new Corsair mechanical Keyboard for instance sometimes has issues with the backlighting not working, but when I update to the latest driver or click the "Restart iCUE Service" tab, it always starts working again, though usually requires a reboot.

How old is the mouse btw?

Last edited:

vascojesus9

Prominent
Aug 19, 2018
I would then suspect the software for the mouse may either have compatibility issues, need updating, or resetting.

My new Corsair mechanical Keyboard for instance sometimes has issues with the backlighting not working, but when I update to the latest driver or click the "Restart iCUE Service" tab, it always starts working again.

How old is the mouse btw?

The mouse is around 2 and 1/2 years old, I bought it with my laptop but the buttons stopped working about a year ago, I just finally decided to make this post to see ig anyone could help

It could be dirt stuck down in the crevices of the switches, which is what the button actuators are called. Yeah, I know, top brands rate they're mouse switches to last for tons of clicks, but I'm sure they probably test them in best case scenario air filtered sterile environments. In such cases a machine is used to make the clicks. That means no typical dust or human skin oils, or tiny fragments of shed skin particles, which can reek havoc on tiny switches.

If you're good at taking things apart, I would have a go at cleaning your mouse. There are things like zero residue sprays that can be used to clean electronic components, but you can suffice with a can of denatured alcohol put in a spray bottle. I use Klean Strip Green that comes in a 1 qt can and can be had for about $7.50. It's high in ethanol so it evaporates very fast. You may want to just dab with swabs on something like a mouse though.

The telltale sign dirt may be the cause of mouse buttons not working is if they feel a bit sticky vs smooth, or lack a distinct click sound.

Solution