[SOLVED] Why doesn't my PC stay overclocked?

bryanperez6119

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
I've had enough of this.
so a few years ago i built my first pc using this website for build recommendations. i spent about $1.1k on this pc and i love it. i havent played games on it too much but as of recently i have been playing alot.
The issue is EVER since i made my pc, ive noticed that i need to restart it to play games on it smoothly. it runs games on pretty high settings. but it doesnt stay that way. The FPS stutters and spikes. the overclock settings i have set dont SAVE AND STAY. i put it on 3200 but seems to default back to 2133 randomly. this time, i was just playing apex legends running pretty well, got off of it and got on spellbreak. the low fps stutters started again.
This is my build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ddWYjc
Ive had this issue for too long and now is the time i am getting to the bottom of this. Please help me.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
When you set anything in BIOS, always doublecheck it actually took. If the POST doesn't like the setting, it is reset. Set for example XMP, reboot, hammer F1/F2/whatever button to get into BIOS and check it.

The other thing is, Windows needs reboots. Always has. One day I can play some games, launch Division 2 just fine. Next day, Division 2 wont launch at all until I reboot.

If in doubt, reboot.
I've had enough of this.
so a few years ago i built my first pc using this website for build recommendations. i spent about $1.1k on this pc and i love it. i havent played games on it too much but as of recently i have been playing alot.
The issue is EVER since i made my pc, ive noticed that i need to restart it to play games on it smoothly. it runs games on pretty high settings. but it doesnt stay that way. The FPS stutters and spikes. the overclock settings i have set dont SAVE AND STAY. i put it on 3200 but seems to default back to 2133 randomly. this time, i was just playing apex legends running pretty well, got off of it and got on spellbreak. the low fps stutters started again.
This is my build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ddWYjc
Ive had this issue for too long and now is the time i am getting to the bottom of this. Please help me.

Thank you.
Did you set memory OC in BIOS or Ryzen Master ?

^ That's the question, if it's set in bios the bios at default does a ram self test at every boot, if it deems the ram clock unstable it resets the entire bios to default.

If its set using ryzen master, ryzen master doesn't hold clocks automatically after a reboot.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
When you set anything in BIOS, always doublecheck it actually took. If the POST doesn't like the setting, it is reset. Set for example XMP, reboot, hammer F1/F2/whatever button to get into BIOS and check it.

The other thing is, Windows needs reboots. Always has. One day I can play some games, launch Division 2 just fine. Next day, Division 2 wont launch at all until I reboot.

If in doubt, reboot.

Solution

bryanperez6119

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
so i would need to adjust the settings a little until it saves and stays, correct? My PC does this randomly but nearly everyday. i just never noticed it was this much of a problem because i didnt game on PC often at all before.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
14nm Ryzen 1600, AB350 mobo. Gskill 3000 ram.

There's your issue in a nutshell. Start upgrading your bios, do NOT just install the latest, but follow ASRock directions you'll find in the bios revision notes. You will be made to stop at one point as any bios further is only for 3000 series cpus.

1st release Ryzen had nothing but memory compatability issues, SkHynix based ram was pretty much stuck at 2133MHz, the gskill Trident-Z and RipJaws V topped out at 2933MHz or 3200MHz depending on Cas timing of 16 or 14. While yours says Cas15, it'll revert to 16 unless you mess with Gearbox, which I don't advise.

So update your bios in stages, sequentially, and set XMP or manual settings for 2933MHz/3000MHz (not 3200MHz) and then see if the bios saves permanently, because right now all I see is compatability issues with an older bios, which resets constantly to the last known stable bios / default.

bryanperez6119

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017

There's your issue in a nutshell. Start upgrading your bios, do NOT just install the latest, but follow ASRock directions you'll find in the bios revision notes. You will be made to stop at one point as any bios further is only for 3000 series cpus.

1st release Ryzen had nothing but memory compatability issues, SkHynix based ram was pretty much stuck at 2133MHz, the gskill Trident-Z and RipJaws V topped out at 2933MHz or 3200MHz depending on Cas timing of 16 or 14. While yours says Cas15, it'll revert to 16 unless you mess with Gearbox, which I don't advise.

So update your bios in stages, sequentially, and set XMP or manual settings for 2933MHz/3000MHz (not 3200MHz) and then see if the bios saves permanently, because right now all I see is compatability issues with an older bios, which resets constantly to the last known stable bios / default.
Ok, so i've never done this before so if something goes wrong during the step process, what can i do to revert back to how it was before?
So these are all of the bios updates below, when i decide to do this, are there any tips you have? i am very inclined to do this as risky as it is. like i said on the post, i've had enough of this issue and want to experience the full $1k i spent correctly, and PCs do genuinely interest me. Am i prone to getting into a boot loop? (its happened to my pc before due to a windows update bug)

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED

Did you mean Geardown mode? Only accepts even numbers for a couple settings, CAS is one. Generally helps with stability. Too much Borderlands 3? =) Gearbox!