Question Why doesnt my Port forwarding work?

May 18, 2022
So im trying to port forward some ports for my nintendo switch but they are always closed and arent getting port forwarded. I have two routers my main router that gets the internet (Zyxel VMG8623-T50B) and a second router that is connected from the wan to the router (Tenda AC10u). I have tried port forwarding both but to no avail , i also tried dmz but still nothing. Is there a way to fix it or i must call my ISP.

kanewolf

Titan
So im trying to port forward some ports for my nintendo switch but they are always closed and arent getting port forwarded. I have two routers my main router that gets the internet (Zyxel VMG8623-T50B) and a second router that is connected from the wan to the router (Tenda AC10u). I have tried port forwarding both but to no avail , i also tried dmz but still nothing. Is there a way to fix it or i must call my ISP.
You have to check that your primary router has a public IP address.
Then, since you have two routers, you will have to forward twice. Once in each router.
Is there a reason you have two routers and not a router plus a router configured as an access point ?

May 18, 2022
You have to check that your primary router has a public IP address.
Then, since you have two routers, you will have to forward twice. Once in each router.
Is there a reason you have two routers and not a router plus a router configured as an access point ?
I just checked it and it has its own public ip. As for why i have two routers its because i used to have a XXXX

[Moderator edit to remove profanity. Please remember that this is a family friendly forum.]

internet and router meaning i got bad wifi on my phone and so i bought a Tenda ac10u to extend the range of my wifi but now that i got a better internet connection i cant remove it mainly cause my pc cable is connected to it and it cant reach my other router.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to be a little more clear on how you have this cabled.

In your first post you said you had the ISP router connected to the tenda router. In your second post you say you computer is connected to the tenda but it too far to connect to the main router. If the tenda is really cabled to the main router why can't you just plug that cable into your pc.

If you can remove the tenda from the path it is going to make things simpler. You only have to get the the port forwarding working on 1 router. Even if you need the tenda for say better wifi coverage I would still get the port forwarding working without it first and then put it back in the path.

May 18, 2022
You need to be a little more clear on how you have this cabled.

In your first post you said you had the ISP router connected to the tenda router. In your second post you say you computer is connected to the tenda but it too far to connect to the main router. If the tenda is really cabled to the main router why can't you just plug that cable into your pc.

If you can remove the tenda from the path it is going to make things simpler. You only have to get the the port forwarding working on 1 router. Even if you need the tenda for say better wifi coverage I would still get the port forwarding working without it first and then put it back in the path.
What i meant on the second part is that my ethernet cable is connected to my tenda ac10u due to it not being long enough to connect to my ISP router.

May 18, 2022
You have what's called a DOUBLE NAT. Which is why port forwarding is not working. You need to put your ISP router into BRIDGE MODE so it can act as a modem. Then all of your port forwarding should work.
Ok im in my ISP router settings but i have 3 options that i can modify into bridge mode here :

1. ADSL_8_35
  2. VDSL_835
  3. Eth_835
Are they any different or no?

It depends on how your get your internet from your ISP.

Eth_835 would be through the blue WAN port on the ISP modem from an ethernet jack on the wall.

VDSL_835 and ADSL_835 would be through your phone lines on the grey DSL port.

VDSL will be higher speed plan, up to 70mbps.

ADSL would probably be about 1.5-10mbps.

Then connect 1 of the yellow ports of your ISP Router to the WAN port of your personal router.

May 18, 2022
It depends on how your get your internet from your ISP.

Eth_835 would be through the blue WAN port on the ISP modem from an ethernet jack on the wall.

VDSL_835 and ADSL_835 would be through your phone lines on the grey DSL port.

VDSL will be higher speed plan, up to 70mbps.

ADSL would probably be about 1.5-10mbps.

Then connect 1 of the yellow ports of your ISP Router to the WAN port of your personal router.
So i made my VDSL_835 into bridge mode on my ISP Router but i still cant seem to port forward. I have tried setting my nintendo switch with a fixed IP but even then nothing the only way it seems to kinda work is by putting the fixed ip on the DMZ host which again isnt the best option and its completly unsafe.