[SOLVED] Why don't GPU manufacturers raise the cost of their products when first released

Nov 20, 2020
Think about it. If you want to buy the latest and greatest TV, you're going to pay double price. Then the price will drop over time as markets dictate.

When manufacturers sell their cards way below the market value, it encourages scalpers to swoop in and take that money that the manufacturers so kindly left on the table for them.

As an end user - I would not at all be offended if the manufacturer sold their brand new GPU's at double their current prices, which would in effect take the scalpers out of the mix entirely.

Then, as cards come more available, the price would come down as a natural consequence.

So why do they leave so much money on the table. If they were to increase their prices when the supply is short and the demand is huge, they could divert those extra profits into increasing their ability to produce more quantity.

Just makes sense to me, but I'm sure there's a reason they don't. I just don't know what it is!

Solution
That is a great way to shot yourself in the foot and be stuck with a large cache of inventory " whispers Intel RTX2000 line". GPU's target certain price ranges and the really high-end cards only amount to less than 20% of the overall sales. If you overcharge for every new card " Which they do mark up slightly" and the performance isn't astoundingly a massive improvement, then your just guaranteeing that the older cards will be in a more demanding position if your looking at a price/performance ratio.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
That is a great way to shot yourself in the foot and be stuck with a large cache of inventory " whispers Intel RTX2000 line". GPU's target certain price ranges and the really high-end cards only amount to less than 20% of the overall sales. If you overcharge for every new card " Which they do mark up slightly" and the performance isn't astoundingly a massive improvement, then your just guaranteeing that the older cards will be in a more demanding position if your looking at a price/performance ratio.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution