Why don't interface makers agree on a common interface unification?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I'd like to share my idea with everyone and learn what others think about this.

I find it unnecessarily confusing that all apps, websites have their own personal interfaces. Shouldn't it be wonderful if interface makers (I mean how an app, website, even Operating Systems) agree to an agreed interface. I don't mean they all do the same, each Operating System, app etc may have its own way to do certain things. But wouldn't it be better to people if they agree on certain features (example: to download a file on an app or website they all put the icon in the same spot: such us the upper right corner, using a formatting and coloring that doesn't vary significantly between apps).

We have more and more interfaces to deal with every day to have to learn them all if they're so different.

Just an opinion ;)

The only problem with that is managing to get such a massive amount of people to agree on something, let alone implemented.
People generally dont like having their options limited in such a manner, while it would be nice like you said to have everything somewhat uniform, it would probably cause more issues than good.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Not to mention that most of the innovation we've seen and the increases in ease they've provided would never have occurred were not various players "jockeying for position" in the marketplace.

standards.png

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think this makes any sense. Across all websites and apps, there is a huge variety in what they do and how they're used. Even if you could get a majority of people onboard and agreeing on a format (not going to happen), trying to make everything conform to that standard is going to be restricting and arduous, if not downright impossible in some cases. In many cases you're surely going to negatively impact usability.