[SOLVED] why downloading locks internet until complete

nordiccat

Reputable
Aug 7, 2019
Im a single user and the internet wont work when downloading until its complete. I understand i can limit my internet download managers speed but i never had to do this before and i want it to use max bandwidth when other tasks arent requiring bandwidth also.

I lived in this area 4 years ago and dont remember this happening and the only thing that has changed is a new pc (same modem same isp and same speed). If i recall before it would just automatically prioritize the bandwidth and now it doesnt.

Any advice on whats happening ?

Solution
Internet Download Managers will thread downloads, so to the router, it'll seem like a new client for each thread. So even with QOS enabled, your download manager might still hog all the available bandwidth. You can try reducing the number of threads to see if that helps.

Lutfij

Titan
Do you have the modem/router tethered to your system? If so, do you have permission or access into the GUI of said router? Perhaps the rotuer9assuming it's a router) has a firmware update pending. As for your new PC, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Then check and see what your OS version is.

As for your internet not working/locking up when downloading, sometimes your app's need all the available bandwidth from your ISP which means less is allocated to your other app's like browsing. It's a good idea to leave downloading large files on your platform as the last task to do provided you've got an article or an e-book to read.

nordiccat

Reputable
Aug 7, 2019
Do you have the modem/router tethered to your system? If so, do you have permission or access into the GUI of said router? Perhaps the rotuer9assuming it's a router) has a firmware update pending. As for your new PC, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. Then check and see what your OS version is.

As for your internet not working/locking up when downloading, sometimes your app's need all the available bandwidth from your ISP which means less is allocated to your other app's like browsing. It's a good idea to leave downloading large files on your platform as the last task to do provided you've got an article or an e-book to read.
Yeah i have updated everythingand yes it sucks but thats what im doing currently waiting till im done for the night to start all downloads . i even have to switch my cell of wifi for that time lol. Thanks

nordiccat

Reputable
Aug 7, 2019
What happens if you take the 'internet download manager' out of the equation?
Don't use it at all.
Then everything works but my downloads are about 60-70 percent as fast even when doing nothing else, but when mine speeds are sloooow either way then it seems to take forever. I just hope starlink gets here fast since people within an hour of me have it. Thanks

Internet Download Managers will thread downloads, so to the router, it'll seem like a new client for each thread. So even with QOS enabled, your download manager might still hog all the available bandwidth. You can try reducing the number of threads to see if that helps.

Solution