[SOLVED] Why drive storage fluctates up and down?

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
I noticed that my drive storage has gone down from 244 GB about a month ago to about 233 GB just a week ago. I know that I downloaded some things and it did take some space, and I did the Microsoft Windows updates which does take space. I do the "remove temporary files" in storage (Settings). That did little to bring it back up. It brought it to 234 GB. Then this morning I look and my drive is now 246 GB. How does that happen? Does Windows have an internal cleanup or something that works behind the scenes?
I'm not sure.
Thanks

Solution
Western Digital Blue SATA SSD 2.5 1TB
Going up and down by 10GB is 1% of the drive space. Not a concern, pretty much normal operations.

Now, if you were to see that consumed space simply rise over time for no identified reason, that may be of some concern.

But fluctuations like this are normal and expected.

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
Going up and down by 10GB is 1% of the drive space. Not a concern, pretty much normal operations.

Now, if you were to see that consumed space simply rise over time for no identified reason, that may be of some concern.

But fluctuations like this are normal and expected.
I remember asking this some time back .. but I have a different issue lately. After browsing on Firefox for sometime and maybe using a few more programs my memory will drop which is understandable, but also I notice my disk space really goes down ... like 40% sometimes. I will go from 112 GB to like 70 GB. I have to restart to fix issue.

Is it common for the CPU to take the load of issues with memory loss?

USAFRet

Titan
I remember asking this some time back .. but I have a different issue lately. After browsing on Firefox for sometime and maybe using a few more programs my memory will drop which is understandable, but also I notice my disk space really goes down ... like 40% sometimes. I will go from 112 GB to like 70 GB. I have to restart to fix issue.

Is it common for the CPU to take the load of issues with memory loss?
Is this still on the 1TB WD drive?

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
Possibly pagefile use going up and down?

Install and run either WinDirStat, or WizTree.

Run as Administrator, selecting only the drive in question.
Post a screencap here.

Also, a screencap of your Disk Management window.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/S1TBEa8" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/S1TBEa8">Disk Management</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

View: https://imgur.com/a/S1TBEa8

Tommy Sawyer

Commendable
Aug 20, 2021
In your WizTree image, top right...the green spaces.
That appears to be 40+GB of 'system' something.
Hibernation and/or pagefile.
Is that something that just happens over time and will eventually clear, is it something to worry about, or are there some kind of tweaks or disk management settings to help?
Is something causing it?

USAFRet

Titan
My OS drive looks similar.
I see nothing to worry about.

PCkTsBo.png

Reactions: Tommy Sawyer