Why getting a good graphic cards if monitor 60 hertz

greenrazer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015
Hi,

I have the monitor asus mx279h which is 60 hertz. I was connecting it to a old laptop but now I'm going to build my own gaming computer (800 - 1100$). And I was thinking : Why getting a very good graphic card if I can't even go more than 60 fps? Does it work like that? What graphic card do you advise me to take? (I know that I will also buy an Intel i7 4790k, and like 8g of ram) (I would like to do also 3d animation, with source film maker for example). I was thinking of getting the nvidia Geforce GTX 970 4gb video card, is it a good idea?

Thank you!

Solution
There are plenty of reason to get a good card even if your monitor can only do 60hz.

1. 60hz = max 60 visible fps. Even the best cards can struggle to hold a constant 60 fps under the highest settings. The only people that would lower the quality of a game to achieve greater then 60 fps performance are competitive gamers. IMO it should only be professional competitive gamers as internet lag would be the bigger problem over frame rate.,

2. Games can be rendered in a higher resolution then down sampled to produce better visuals. Nvidia calls it dynamic super resolution. This is taxing on video hardware and would result in lower fps. So if you want to use this feature you would want the best card you could get.

3. Some video...
There are plenty of reason to get a good card even if your monitor can only do 60hz.

1. 60hz = max 60 visible fps. Even the best cards can struggle to hold a constant 60 fps under the highest settings. The only people that would lower the quality of a game to achieve greater then 60 fps performance are competitive gamers. IMO it should only be professional competitive gamers as internet lag would be the bigger problem over frame rate.,

2. Games can be rendered in a higher resolution then down sampled to produce better visuals. Nvidia calls it dynamic super resolution. This is taxing on video hardware and would result in lower fps. So if you want to use this feature you would want the best card you could get.

3. Some video and photo editing software can take advantage of GPU processing. Of course here the better GPU you have the better off you'll be.

Solution
in addition to what is already given, sure, you can only go 60fps due to that limitation. however, some games and games in the near future will demand more. so if you buy something (barely) adequate today, it will be below 60fps next year due to some games that demands more. in other words, you have no headroom if you don't buy something good. sure you can lower the settings as an alternative, but it's one of the reasons