Why GPU (RTX 2070) boost higher than specs ?

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
Hi

I bought a Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce (their most basic 2070) which have specs stating a base clock of 1410mhz and a boost clock of 1620mhz. I did not do any kind of overclocking on it.

So i ran Unigine Heaven benchmark for about 15 minutes, while monitoring with both GPU-Z and MSI Afterburner.

GPU utilisation was steady at 98-99%
Temperature was constant at 65'C
Fan speed was around 45%
GPU core clock was at 1785mhz

I'm not complaning at all, having numbers that are over the specs seems quite good.. but why/how is it possible that i'm able to get a steady 1785mhz clock speed, without doing any overclocking, when my card specs clearly state 1620mhz ?

Solution
Its because of Boost 4.0 . The same deal as 3.0 that Pascal (10 series) use with a little more tweaks. Basically if the temp is low enough the card will OC itself until either it hits the power limit, temp limit or GPU voltage limit.

iamacow

Admirable
Its because of Boost 4.0 . The same deal as 3.0 that Pascal (10 series) use with a little more tweaks. Basically if the temp is low enough the card will OC itself until either it hits the power limit, temp limit or GPU voltage limit.

Solution

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
Thanks all for your answers !

So if i get it right, the advertised "boost clock" of different cards are just a base reference number to help see the difference between card quality ? So for exemple two different cards with specs of 1620mhz and a 1700mhz will probably boost higher than thier specs, but the 1700mhz one will still boost higher than the other ?

Did i get it right ?

iamacow

Admirable
Yesssssssssss...? To keep it simple, yes that is right the 1700mhz card will boost higher is "most" scenarios. Heat created by the card will lower the maximum clock speed. So even if you say got the OC MAX edition with 1800mhz boost. It may not not go any higher than the 1600hz edition. Depends on the cooler and the heat inside the case. If you have really good airflow or watercooling, than you will boost higher. For example my 2080 clocks to 1850mhz out of the box. I manually OC it I can reach 2085mhz. With a watercooling it and without manually overclocking I get 1950. Still 2100 is my Chips limit. So at some point it doesn't matter, the chip won't go any higher.

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014

Actually it died a few days after installing it. Artifacts started appearing in games, which lead to game crashing a few seconds after launching them. I returned it to newegg for a replacement and since they had no more in stock they refunded instead. So i decided to pick a MSI armor OC, which works very fine and boost even higher than the Gigabyte Windforce.