Why has my computer suddenly become so slow after upgradin..

AC

I used to have Windows 98 but I recently upgraded to Windows XP and now my
startup takes forever. Everything starts slow too and performs bad. I have
cleared out uneeded files and viruses but it's still going really slow.

What processor speed? 450mhz, faster if possible.
How much RAM? 256mb minimum, more if possible.

Also try this:

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> What processor speed? 450mhz, faster if possible.
> How much RAM? 256mb minimum, more if possible.
>
> Also try this:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/slowcom.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "AC" <AC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I used to have Windows 98 but I recently upgraded to Windows XP and now my
> > startup takes forever. Everything starts slow too and performs bad. I have
> > cleared out uneeded files and viruses but it's still going really slow.

400mhz... 64MB RAM

That processor may be OK depending on what you co but you definitely need
more RAM.
See what your motherboard can handle as far as RAM and make sure you get the
right type:
http://www.crucial.com/.

--

> 400mhz... 64MB RAM

AC

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> That processor may be OK depending on what you co but you definitely need
> more RAM.
> See what your motherboard can handle as far as RAM and make sure you get the
> right type:
> http://www.crucial.com/.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "AC" <AC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > 400mhz... 64MB RAM

How can I see what my motherboard can take? And what is a motherboard?

Is it an OEM computer such as Gateway, HP, Dell, Compaq etc?
If so go to the link on my last post and use the tool near the top of the
page to help you determine what is the maximum you can get.
Crucial is also a very good source for quality RAM.

Everest can also help determine exactly what motherboard and how much
memory:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3

--

> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> That processor may be OK depending on what you co but you definitely need
>> more RAM.
>> See what your motherboard can handle as far as RAM and make sure you get
>> the
>> right type:
>> http://www.crucial.com/.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>>

>> "AC" <AC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > 400mhz... 64MB RAM
>>

> How can I see what my motherboard can take? And what is a motherboard?

TRENDING THREADS