Why have games slowed down after a RAM upgrade?

holformr

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
I recently upgraded my RAM from 4GB to 8GB using identical sticks of 4GB RAM DDR3 at 1333Mhz
My GPU is the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 which has specs of 1GB memory, Memory clock speed: 900 MHz DDR3
Processor: intel i5, 2.3Ghz M460 model
Games like Empire total war and Swtor have decreased in speed a lot. I don't know why this would be the case?

holformr

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
then why after upgrading ram have the games slowed down? the virus would cause this only if the ram was a catalyst for an infection?

In reading this it seems like you first purchased 1x4GB DDR3-1333 and then another 1x4GB DDR3-1333. If the RAM is either defective (run Memtest) or in the wrong DIMM slots then sure it will cause a problem.

However, after looking-up information on your Notebook I found the following:
Gateway M460 - http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gateway/M460/QCD10MBZZZ06E4sp22.shtml
Memory type: 400/533 MHz DDR2 RAM
Memory expansion options:
Two 200-pin industry standard DDR2-SODIMM socket, user accessible
2 GB maximum system memory

Therefore, first your system only supports 2x1GB of DDR2 and not DDR3 2x4GB. I hope what you posted is incorrect <or> the info on your Notebook is totally wrong. Mixing, I don't know how it would fit, DDR3 RAM in DDR2 Slots will damage your Notebook.

Please provide a link to your Notebook.

I noted "intel i5, 2.3Ghz M460" there is no 'M460" CPU so I assumed it was your Notebook model; there is a i5-460M but it's 2.53 GHz.

Look at the Resource Monitor ; if the Hardware Reserved is much greater than the amount of RAM allocated (shared) to the GPU or >4000MB then one of the sticks isn't working:
RM_7PRO6GB.gif

Then assuming the Notebook shipped with 6GB then that amount is now reduced by 2GB less. Therefore, this can be caused by the RAM being poorly seated or bad. Take out (1) stick and test, next swap the other (1) stick and test again -- i.e. testing only (1) stick at a time.

holformr

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

scaled.php

this is the pic do you see anything unusual?

Other than you have a boat load of processes (96) running which is probably one of if not the only problem.

What I would do is when you boot, press whatever (F#) corresponds to "Load Optimized Defaults" or "Load Defaults" and save. Next, look carefully at your 'Startup" items and maybe even the non-Microsoft"Services and try turning-off some of that 'stuff'. Access those controls by running MSCONFIG.

holformr

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
ok ill give it a go, thanks.
i just installed san andreas from steam and that was laggy as hell!! surely something weird is going on :( might just takke the laptop to pc world with the original ram and let them upgrade it again