[SOLVED] Why have graphics cards increase in price?

Mar 2, 2021
Hello everyone,
To build a computer, the graphics card is an indispensable component. It contributes to improving the computer's processing speed. Currently, bitcoin is spreading everywhere. A lot of people use computers to mine bitcoins for profit. That is one of the reasons why graphics cards increase in price. Is there any other reason, hope everyone can share their opinion.
Thanks everyone.

Solution
All storms come to an end eventually.
The previous crash was brought about by high-profile crypto robberies nuking confidence in the infrastructure. Unless another batch of exchanges rob people of their crypto-coins, that won't happen again unless more governments follow India's footsteps and move to outright ban them. Since governments move slowly, that could take several years.

I wouldn't count on this second crypto goldrush ending any time soon, stocks of 7-8nm GPUs will likely remain scarce until miners switch to shiny new 5-6nm stuff.

logainofhades

Titan
Negative. It is not profitable to mine bitcoin with gpus anymore. The cheaper coins are being mined with gpus and then exchanged for bitcoin.
A few 'loaded' people are specifically using ASICs(high cost ceiling) to mine bitcoin.

Etherium mining is popular again. We just have a perfect storm of low supply, and super high demand, right now. Bots/scalpers scooping up what they can hurts the most, though.

stanley88845

Reputable
Oct 9, 2020
Hello everyone,
To build a computer, the graphics card is an indispensable component. It contributes to improving the computer's processing speed. Currently, bitcoin is spreading everywhere. A lot of people use computers to mine bitcoins for profit. That is one of the reasons why graphics cards increase in price. Is there any other reason, hope everyone can share their opinion.
Thanks everyone.
There are so many factors at the moment that have led up to prices skyrocketing. The first reason is the fact that miners are buying cards due to the fact bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies have gone up a bunch in price again. The next reason is scalpers trying to buy loads of cards to sell them for more than rrp. The next reason is that due to covid, demand is the highest its ever been but supply is at the lowest.

In addition, there's only two companies that can make bleeding edge chips: Samsung and TSMC. And at the present, TSMC is ahead with process node development. Since everyone and their mother wants TSMC to fab their stuff, TSMC is backlogged to heck.

You might go "TSMC should build more fabs!" but as a manufacturer, having 100% uptime is preferable. And if you take Samsung out of the picture (which I'm not sure what their manufacturing capacity is), they basically have a monopoly, so there's really no need to rush to build more fabs.

Mar 2, 2021
There are so many factors at the moment that have led up to prices skyrocketing. The first reason is the fact that miners are buying cards due to the fact bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies have gone up a bunch in price again. The next reason is scalpers trying to buy loads of cards to sell them for more than rrp. The next reason is that due to covid, demand is the highest its ever been but supply is at the lowest.
Thanks you so much

Reactions: stanley88845

InvalidError

Titan
All storms come to an end eventually.
The previous crash was brought about by high-profile crypto robberies nuking confidence in the infrastructure. Unless another batch of exchanges rob people of their crypto-coins, that won't happen again unless more governments follow India's footsteps and move to outright ban them. Since governments move slowly, that could take several years.

I wouldn't count on this second crypto goldrush ending any time soon, stocks of 7-8nm GPUs will likely remain scarce until miners switch to shiny new 5-6nm stuff.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Thanks... you already beat the dead horse in that one news thread...
/sigh