Discussion Why headset VR so expensive?

GianYagami

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
I don't know how big is profit margin manufactor got from selling this product (htc vive, occulus, etc...) But as we looks from other products, seems their profit is very much. How could?

WildCard999

Titan
Have you tried VR? While I agree it's pricey the experience can be well worth it. I mean, floating above a active volcano while watching movies was pretty amazing. Even the demo were your in a museum and a T-rex comes around the corner, walks up to you, roars then walks away is incredible. Even though you know it's fake it still had my heart racing. Skyrim VR, with the proper graphic mods, looks amazing as well. Fighting a dragon with a bow & arrow or sword & shield was absolutely fantastic and quite the workout. Another great game was 'From Other Suns' which can be played by yourself or coop with others. While the graphics were good the gameplay and meeting new people was really cool, made nearly 90% of my friends list (like 17 people lol) just by playing that. Elite Dangerous in VR is another really good one in VR, the FPV inside the ship and space was beautiful.

To me paying the $400 for the Oculus S is worth it. The increased pricing for the Vive Cosmos/Valve Index may not be for everyone but it all comes down to budget and how far you want to delve into VR.

Reactions: Stygian-Agenda
Have you tried VR? While I agree it's pricey the experience can be well worth it. I mean, floating above a active volcano while watching movies was pretty amazing. Even the demo were your in a museum and a T-rex comes around the corner, walks up to you, roars then walks away is incredible. Even though you know it's fake it still had my heart racing. Skyrim VR, with the proper graphic mods, looks amazing as well. Fighting a dragon with a bow & arrow or sword & shield was absolutely fantastic and quite the workout. Another great game was 'From Other Suns' which can be played by yourself or coop with others. While the graphics were good the gameplay and meeting new people was really cool, made nearly 90% of my friends list (like 17 people lol) just by playing that. Elite Dangerous in VR is another really good one in VR, the FPV inside the ship and space was beautiful.

To me paying the $400 for the Oculus S is worth it. The increased pricing for the Vive Cosmos/Valve Index may not be for everyone but it all comes down to budget and how far you want to delve into VR.

What's the T-Rex demo? My son loves dinosaurs.

GianYagami

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020

I've tried VR on comic events in 2016, I forgot what's game I tried but the game similar to galaga or millipede or space invaders but in VR. I don't want discuss about experience = value but in rational economics (rational expectations). I remember when blackberry so popular with build in social media and it planting mindset to society (especially in my region) having that account means you're rich.

I always think why technology forces us to become consumerism, I just want to change my view by knowing the opinions of others. But it seems like it's always about gaming experience = cost value. It's like buying an amusement park ticket , they not offering technology or object worthness but experiences.

as a consumer, I must control my outcome. And I've changed my mind, VR is not worth for me.

VR headsets have a high volume of proprietary hardware in them. They arent produced in large enough numbers to bring down prices.
So, for now, prices are going to remain fairly high for a propriety piece of purpose built hardware. Same reason laptops cost more than equivalent PC level hardware.

Reactions: GianYagami

GianYagami

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020
Um... I don't want to start debate so I'll try to be more open minded. And I think you all right, if we seen on economic theory, to make profit for "rare items" (items which is few selling frequency) is to increase margin profit. I can not blame it since they corporation is needed to growth and they have employee and researchers to hire, it's a bit fair enough.

By the way, I remember when I tried VR. I am bad at this (poor motoric coordination) so I've lost interest in this... Other reason is I must reduce my gaming time because I will busy in future months. (Just want to sharing)

Stygian-Agenda

Honorable
Jun 11, 2014
As an avid user of VR and creator of VR content, I go completely the opposite way --to me, VR is absolutely worth the cost of admission.

I was reading above where the OP says they tried VR back in 2016. VR has changed a lot since then. In 2016, we were only then beginning to see some of the earliest VR software begin to grow in numbers. In the 4 years since then, VR has evolved into a very high powered medium that is constantly finding new uses almost daily in multiple fields of work and play. If you're looking at it simply from the angle of whether the technology is ready for mass buy-in, that's up for debate. Early PC gaming wasn't ready for mass buy-in, but a lot of us did buy-in anyway and helped push the market forward to become the international powerhouse that it is today, rivaling the global film industry, annually, in terms of sheer market value.

If you're looking at it from some sort of political/socio-economical angle... I don't know what to tell you, but perhaps VR simply isn't for you. Not everyone skydives, or even drives cars, some can't even ride a bike properly, and some people simply aren't cut out for VR, whether my mentality, conditioning or state of mind.