[SOLVED] Why Home Networking has issues when first going to webpages/applications since router upgrade?

kendallknight23

Commendable
Jun 8, 2018
So I recently upgraded my home network to utilize the Netgear Orbi A6X Mesh Network system to increase coverage in the home etc. Since this upgrade, when going a webpage (any webpage), I first get the screen saying "This webpage cannot be displayed" for a brief second or two and then it will reload automatically to the site.

The same happens with my discord application. When joining a voice channel, it will attempt to connect, say it disconnected and then put me in the channel.

I assume both of them are linked to the same thing. During the setup of the Orbi system, I didn't setup anything special, I just did everything as normal. I set up the network with the same SSID and password that was used on my last router so all my smart home devices would reconnect automatically. This issue happens on both my desktop, which is hardwired, and my laptop. Any thoughts on what this could be?

Solution
I'm using ISP DNS right now. I could switch to Google or something and give that a go.
Slow first page loading is often a DNS issue. After the name is resolved, the router caches the name and it is fast. I would recommend testing Google DNS. You can set it on your router so that all devices use it. It will be in the WAN section of your router setup pages. Just override the ISP DNS with the Google DNS IP addresses.

kanewolf

Titan
So I recently upgraded my home network to utilize the Netgear Orbi A6X Mesh Network system to increase coverage in the home etc. Since this upgrade, when going a webpage (any webpage), I first get the screen saying "This webpage cannot be displayed" for a brief second or two and then it will reload automatically to the site.

The same happens with my discord application. When joining a voice channel, it will attempt to connect, say it disconnected and then put me in the channel.

I assume both of them are linked to the same thing. During the setup of the Orbi system, I didn't setup anything special, I just did everything as normal. I set up the network with the same SSID and password that was used on my last router so all my smart home devices would reconnect automatically. This issue happens on both my desktop, which is hardwired, and my laptop. Any thoughts on what this could be?
That sounds like a slow DNS service. Are you using the ISP DNS, or one of the others like Google DNS ?

kanewolf

Titan
I'm using ISP DNS right now. I could switch to Google or something and give that a go.
Slow first page loading is often a DNS issue. After the name is resolved, the router caches the name and it is fast. I would recommend testing Google DNS. You can set it on your router so that all devices use it. It will be in the WAN section of your router setup pages. Just override the ISP DNS with the Google DNS IP addresses.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

kendallknight23

Commendable
Jun 8, 2018
Seems to have solved the problem, thanks!

TRENDING THREADS