[SOLVED] Why/how am I getting frame drop with good components?

Dec 4, 2019
So, I just did a computer build. I currently have:

GTX 1080 8GB of RAM running at a clock of 1900MHz, 72degrees, using 4.5GB/8GB of VRAM.
A I7-9700k running at 4.8GHz core temps maxing at 80.
32GB of corsair DDR4 running at 3200.
Windows 10.
MSI MPG z390 pro carbon motherboard.
Running the game on a 970 EVO plus.

Now I'm using HWinfo to monitor temps, and task manager to look at overall usage. My GPU is at 100% and my cpu at 43%, Memory at 32% or so (about 12GB).

I am trying to run Dying Light at 144fps with my 144hz monitor, with G-Sync

Now when playing the game hovers at 160-170 fps, then when I actually start running around it goes everywhere from 96fps to 121, 132. Not ever going back to 144fps.

Why is that? Is my cpu running too hot? I have it in MSI's game mode to run at overclocked rates, but I assum anything below 85 degrees shouldn't throttle?

What do I need to do to keep my frames from dropping like that?

Is my gpu not good enough? I don't quite understand how that would be determinable as most run at 100% when playing a game and shouldn't need to use all the VRAM anyway. The cpu shouldn't be bottlenecking right? Thanks for reading and your time let me know your thoughts.

Solution
Disable windows game bar. You're welcome for the much higher 1% low ;) Also, 2K res won't fill 8GB RAM, that GPU is for video editing and stuff; it'll run games fine, but it was built for content creation (hence more ram than any game will actually use for the next decade or so). You could try turning down more settings to render in 8K if you wanted to use all that VRAM, or a 4K VR game should suffice. You could always edit some 4K video and really get that VRAM thrashing, if you really wanted to run that card through some paces :D
Dec 4, 2019
I was running at 2560x1440p in game and on monitor. I just lowered it to 1920x1080p on my monitor and in game. I now run the game at 250fps hover, and drops to 195 210 215 when doing lots of stuff. Looking at performance, everything is running about the same temp wise and figure wise.

I did notice that it says my memory clock is only at 1600hz, when in bios it says 3200hz. Not sure why that would be...

I doubt it would run much better than that. The FPS sounds about right compared to benchmarks on YouTube with the same GPU, so unless you are happy to lower the graphics settings, you probably won't get a locked 144 FPS. Unless it is actually visibly laggy, I'd say it's all good.

vistagamer6969

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
I was running at 2560x1440p in game and on monitor. I just lowered it to 1920x1080p on my monitor and in game. I now run the game at 250fps hover, and drops to 195 210 215 when doing lots of stuff. Looking at performance, everything is running about the same temp wise and figure wise.

I did notice that it says my memory clock is only at 1600hz, when in bios it says 3200hz. Not sure why that would be...
Multiply it with 2 that's why it's called DDR

Dec 4, 2019
I doubt it would run much better than that. The FPS sounds about right compared to benchmarks on YouTube with the same GPU, so unless you are happy to lower the graphics settings, you probably won't get a locked 144 FPS. Unless it is actually visibly laggy, I'd say it's all good.
It isn't laggy, just wondering what was holding me back from keeping it locked. Like is the gpu the thing that is not keeping up you said compared to benchmarks? Why wouldn't it be using all the VRAM then since I'm running at 2k resolution?

Feb 19, 2020
Disable windows game bar. You're welcome for the much higher 1% low ;) Also, 2K res won't fill 8GB RAM, that GPU is for video editing and stuff; it'll run games fine, but it was built for content creation (hence more ram than any game will actually use for the next decade or so). You could try turning down more settings to render in 8K if you wanted to use all that VRAM, or a 4K VR game should suffice. You could always edit some 4K video and really get that VRAM thrashing, if you really wanted to run that card through some paces :D

Solution