Why I bought a Bulldozer inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyrb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Somebody on these forums pointed out that Toms and a few other sites used the same benchmarking kit with an nVidia 580 gpu and the same mobo ASUS Crosshair V. This these tests are using a different benchmarking kit and an AMD gpu... *cough* as intended

Nobody can argue with pictures :)

capturehwp.png

DJ4fd.png

ZJMh3.png

capture2m.png

capture3vj.png

capture4e.png

capture5g.png

capture6j.png

CB.png

True.png

Solution

I agree that the idea behind the design and the fact that it works is amazing. There are a few cases where a Bulldozer Module handles two threads really well and the sharing of the FPU make sense, though apparently not the implementation.

Even so it's like saying an average triathlete has an amazing left arm. That's nice, but it's not gonna get them first place. So too do Bulldozers finer qualities not mean much in the...

bucknutty

Distinguished
The problem with benchmarks is we don’t know what the authors or testers true intentions are. Are they really looking for the best data to help people make a good buying decision? Are they fan boys compelled by some sense of loyalty to make their company look better?

I wonder why the Dues and Dirt tests are run at a high res like 1920x1080, with AF cranked, but with the graphic settings on low and AA off? Especially when they are getting average FPS in the 70s.

No one would play at that res with settings on low and AA off, but AF on full. A more realistic setting would be AF, AA, on half like 8x and graphics on medium or High for an average FPS of 50-60.

Perhaps when set to a more balanced and realistic setting the i7 pulls away?

Anyway it is good to see AMD back in the fight again. I still remember the day I got my AMD k6-2 550mhz and smoked all my LAN party friends P2s. And then when I got an Ahtlon x2 and ran all over every one else’s P4s. Hopefully Bulldozer will turn out the same way.

jonnyrb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

There are two Deus Ex Benchies, 1 of which is 16 AF in which the Bulldozer still triumphs. As for the Dirt, not sure, it's just what was posted :O It's no secret that bulldozer excels with more resolution.

beenthere

Distinguished
When people get over the shock that Bulldozer didn't humiliate Intel's best CPUs, they will come to understand that BD is a fine CPU for most consumers and businesses. Buy what makes you happy. Few people need or will pay for bleeding edge CPUs other than for bragging rights.

It's a secret to me... more resolution = more GPU bottlenecking. Therefore CPUs are less dependant on the framerate. Low res, low settings, low AA, etc, take the GPU out of the equation and the CPU and mobo become the bottleneck. If a CPU/mobo is really better, it will show it off at these modest settings.

You can verify this yourself with FurMark. Just set it to low res and then run it at 0xAA and 8xAA and I bet you'll see no difference. Then change the CPU clock and you'll see a big difference.

EDIT: Or just look at the HAWK bench results

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Bulldozer was over-hyped... it was intended to complete with Sandy Bridge and for the most part it does. However, I think all these benchmarks only prove we hit a wall with CPU's. I can't help but notice on MOST benches even the PII is keeping up with Sandy-bridge and Bulldozer.

Why would someone want to upgrade from a PII or a first gen i7?? You would get nearly zero noticeable gain unless you happen to be a media junkie, and if that's the case you'll want Bulldozer for the eight cores.

how is it an amazng piece of tech, please explain? lets see, its 8 cores gets beaten by 4 intel cores in 95% of situations, its power consumption is through the roof, it has lower per-core performance than their old phenom II core, its priced to match CPU's it cant compete with....... where is the amazing part?

I agree that the idea behind the design and the fact that it works is amazing. There are a few cases where a Bulldozer Module handles two threads really well and the sharing of the FPU make sense, though apparently not the implementation.

Even so it's like saying an average triathlete has an amazing left arm. That's nice, but it's not gonna get them first place. So too do Bulldozers finer qualities not mean much in the overall picture. The overall picture says Bulldozer disappoints and should end up priced less than the 2500k. The FX badge is for top preforming CPUs gamers are willing to pay a premium for and Bulldozer fails at that.

Solution

jonnyrb

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010

95% of situations didn't look at OP.. orr?

bucknutty

Distinguished

What other 8 core cpu can you get for under $300 to throw in a consumer board? I understand it is not perfect and I by no means think it's a good value at $250 or more, but give a little credit where credit is due. This new architecture has potential.

What good is potential that could be 1-2 years away now? Especially when in 1-2 years Intel will push out 2-3 new archs.

AMD priced it wrong. AMD hid the performance while hyping it.

Meh. BD is not worth it over a 2500K.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

not only that, people keep thinking "amd will get better once software matures", and intel wont?

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008

You're correct.

But I do think that if they were to turn BD into an APU which would be out next yr, known as Trinity, there's potential for growth. APU is being held back by Stars arch, especially when you do hybrid crossfire. BD should change the game a little.

Also, current BD is actually good for software development where you run compilers and VMs.

jdwii

Splendid

IMO i think that Bulldozer will not add much performance in trinity their is a lot of talk about W8 improving it though and PD might solve a lot of issues. AKA IPC

radium69

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
Thing is, since 2007 they we're mentioning bulldozer and it's awesome performance.
But it was so hyped and anticipated, even I expected more.

I agree that it is a very capable processor for every daily task or gaming. But so do the i3 and pentium series...

The thing is, price performance isn't great. Also the performance perr Watt has gone backwards! Instead of forward...

That is the reason I'm dissapointed, If I really need to make a budget build I choose AMD. But they just aren't ready to compete in price, performance and performance per watt.

They are still catching up though, but it's been for so long...
The i5 2500k and i7 2600k was released like what, 10 months ago?
Price hasn't come down, which means there is still a good margin left to save on.

but WTF is the point of an 8 core CPU to any consumer that is not running a server?????? and when a 4 core cpu can do the same work........while using less power......i mean, if intel wanted to waste silicon on an 8 core consumer model CPU, im sure they could. but they arent that silly.

Look, dont get me wrong everyone, i am an AMD fan from way back. From the k5/k6/k6-2/athlon/duron/athlonxp/athlon64 days. I loved AMD. the core 2 duo is the first Intel CPU i have purchased EVER, and it was well worth it. and since the core 2 duo, AMD has failed to impress, and this 8 core disaster that is slower than Phenom (and the core 2 architecture) is a joke. so it has more cores, so what. you could make a "Core 2 8 core" and it would be faster. that many cores is useless for the average consumer or gamer

Katsushiro

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2008

Its not about actually playing at those resolutions. Its about ensuring that you are not CPU limited in your frames per second.

The benchmarks show that the FX hits a performance wall quite a bit before the i5 or i7 will. And without a big pricing advantage no gamer would be right to consider the FX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS