[SOLVED] Why I get more download speed from google servers?

Abbas_Dhd

Reputable
Dec 17, 2016
Hello guys!!
i've been wondering, why do i get more download and upload speed from google servers(youtube, gdrive, etc), and select few like ORIGIN(game client) and Epic launcher, than my bandwidth limit.
after i use up my data limit my internet speed slows down to 1Mbit/s
but when i use any of the above mentioned services to internet speed goes really high, sometimes even upto 80Mbits/s

image of my actual speed -> this is what it is suppose to be

Increased download speed -> getting More for less

Solution
The reason is because Google is a monstrosity, with far MORE servers and far MORE high end bandwith access than most everybody else out there including the majority of countries or companies.

Your ISP will usually only tend to loosely cap your plan speeds, within a range, so it is not unusual that when you encounter a leg that is particularly fast and has high bandwidth allowances you might see a slight to moderate increase in overall throughput while connected to those servers. It probably also matters greatly to what country you are mainly connecting to servers at. If you are in a region where lines are primarily shared by ISPs or clients, then speeds are going to be seriously decreased but when you connect to somebody like...
The reason is because Google is a monstrosity, with far MORE servers and far MORE high end bandwith access than most everybody else out there including the majority of countries or companies.

Your ISP will usually only tend to loosely cap your plan speeds, within a range, so it is not unusual that when you encounter a leg that is particularly fast and has high bandwidth allowances you might see a slight to moderate increase in overall throughput while connected to those servers. It probably also matters greatly to what country you are mainly connecting to servers at. If you are in a region where lines are primarily shared by ISPs or clients, then speeds are going to be seriously decreased but when you connect to somebody like Google's servers that are wide open, you eliminate much of that.

Plus, given Google's financial capabilities it is also not unlikely that they have agreements with a number of high profile ISPs to loosen the clamps somewhat when somebody is connecting to their backbone. Nobody wants to piss Google off, except governments, who just want a piece of the Google pie as well.

Solution

Abbas_Dhd

Reputable
Dec 17, 2016

Your ISP will usually only tend to loosely cap your plan speeds, within a range, so it is not unusual that when you encounter a leg that is particularly fast and has high bandwidth allowances you might see a slight to moderate increase in overall throughput while connected to those servers. It probably also matters greatly to what country you are mainly connecting to servers at. If you are in a region where lines are primarily shared by ISPs or clients, then speeds are going to be seriously decreased but when you connect to somebody like Google's servers that are wide open, you eliminate much of that.

Plus, given Google's financial capabilities it is also not unlikely that they have agreements with a number of high profile ISPs to loosen the clamps somewhat when somebody is connecting to their backbone. Nobody wants to piss Google off, except governments, who just want a piece of the Google pie as well.
So if that ia true that means whatever traffic comes from google servers won't be capped like other server.
Then one more question.. what if I could somehow route all of my data through google servers, would I then always get high speed? I think I should get high bandwidth

In order to do that, you would have to have Google as your ISP, or use an ISP that has a primary contract to use Google's backbone which would be mostly data centers rather than ISPs. In fact, I'm not sure there even ARE any ISPs that use Google's backbone but it's a sure fire possibility.

This should tell you a lot more than you know now about that subject matter.

https://www.datacenterknowledge.com...le-and-level-3-interconnect-network-backbones

Chances are that the only time you will see any change in your connection speed is when connecting TO a data center or service that resides on either a Google server or a Google partner who has cached that content.

Abbas_Dhd

Reputable
Dec 17, 2016
In order to do that, you would have to have Google as your ISP, or use an ISP that has a primary contract to use Google's backbone which would be mostly data centers rather than ISPs. In fact, I'm not sure there even ARE any ISPs that use Google's backbone but it's a sure fire possibility.

This should tell you a lot more than you know now about that subject matter.

https://www.datacenterknowledge.com...le-and-level-3-interconnect-network-backbones

Chances are that the only time you will see any change in your connection speed is when connecting TO a data center or service that resides on either a Google server or a Google partner who has cached that content.

so i found one video that can help me route my data through google servers..
what he is doing is, he creates a VPN server on google cloud and then connects to that server..
and i have a feeling it will work exactly like i think..

link for the video

I think this is purely luck?

From what i can what you are saying is you have exceeded your bandwidth limit for the month and the ISP is restricting you. You also say it does not restrict some locations.

This is not really a network issue. It has to be either a bug or a "feature" in the ISP filter abilities. Maybe they just messed up and they will fix it and limit all sites in the future. Now some ISP I know limit certain types of traffic when you hit a cap and not others. Way to much fine print to read to be sure what they are really doing.

Abbas_Dhd

Reputable
Dec 17, 2016
I think this is purely luck?

From what i can what you are saying is you have exceeded your bandwidth limit for the month and the ISP is restricting you. You also say it does not restrict some locations.

This is not really a network issue. It has to be either a bug or a "feature" in the ISP filter abilities. Maybe they just messed up and they will fix it and limit all sites in the future. Now some ISP I know limit certain types of traffic when you hit a cap and not others. Way to much fine print to read to be sure what they are really doing.
IKR...
it is definitely a bug..
i can tell because there is one more guy that uses same ISP. i tried downloading some stuff from google drive.. and guess what his internet speed was getting capped.

and also i created personal VPN on AWS and connected to it and it is working wonders!!
Not as good as google would've but i'm satisfied for now

and thank you for joining...

TRENDING THREADS