Why I hate Asus (Part 2) -- Bios 509!

AddictiveHerring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
All I can say is my P5b Premium Wifi/AP is the best Board I have ever used, and the board I had before last A p5gd1 was the most rock solid board I had ever used.

Daller

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
All I can say is my P5b Premium Wifi/AP is the best Board I have ever used, and the board I had before last A p5gd1 was the most rock solid board I had ever used.
I agree with the adict fish: totally... you say you bought the extreme ed.? get off the fracking forum! you're a richie rich måfå I got an E6300 to go 3.6GHz on a P5B with CorsairXMS2-6400-CL5 mem(2x1G) using the 0614 bios.. update your bios, or be happy beeing rich but dåmb!

Daller

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
I didn't even notice the non-deluxe part, sorry for that.

But isn't that an even worse combo? I mean: top of the line cpu, with mainstream motherboard?

Solution: If you could afford the x6800, you certainly can afford a P5B deluxe, go get one buddy! It rocks.

("spent my limit"... bahhh, credit rocks!)

Possum

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
This thread is a week old today, but I just noticed it. While I understand how frustrating it can be to receive defective products, I'd say you are overreacting just a tad. Replace the motherboard and quit wasting your time. If this has made you feel so negatively toward Asus, then don't buy their products in the future. Put your message out on the boards so others can understand where you're coming from, but don't be a little kid about it and call it a "life mission until the day you die." No one will take you seriously.

As for your letter to the company, it probably confused the hell out of them. At one point, you're giving them an ultimatum and telling them how it's going to be. Then you continue by warning them you'll spread your hate to every web site until no one buys Asus products. And then you finish it with "God bless you and I hope you are blessed in life" and say you only want to help them.

They probably hit delete already.

Either way, I do hope you get this worked out and get that computer running to your desired speeds. Just don't pull your hair out in the process.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I emailed Asus, and will post all responses... here is my email, so that anyone can read the results of my enquiry... I plan on beign as transparent as possible

Dear Asus Employee;

I am writting to you because I am A) Tired of filling out that 50 questionar every time I have a problem, and that B) your product has become such a pain in the butt, that It has become useless.

I need you to get in touch with people who may fix my problems... an RMA of a NEW P5B Basic is unacceptable since the board is so basically inadequate, and flawed, and that the Defective issue is that the product design and/or bios is flawed... I have never had such a bad experiance with a Motherboard company.

I need a new motherboard. I am willing to upgrade to the Deluxe for a nominal charge, but I WILL NOT go without a motherboard for a single day. If you need me to pay for the new motherboard upfront and then refund me when you get my POS, I would be more then welcome to do so... This is the most insaine situation I have been apart of... and I will not let my experiances go un-noticed.

I have found no notice on the website of current known flaws with this system. This makes it impossible for me to single out issues... and after RMAing your Mobo, My Videocard, My Hard Drive, and My DVD-RW's I have found out that the same problems exist no matter how many times I replace parts. Like I said, and I will repeat this, I have ALREADY RMAed your MOBO!

Tomshardware has strongly supported Asus Products. There forum members talked a great deal about the P5B Deluxe. I found that I DIDNT need the physical features of the P5B Deluxe, and would rather have just the plain P5B... I was thinking that they would be the same MoBo, just different features... I was wrong...

I am about to go to every known site that deals with hardware and tell everyone my exact experiance... I do beleive that Asus, the company you work for, has the right to correct things and make em right. I am not threatening you, or your company... I am using my powers as a consumer to warn people of all products created by a company that has so completely left the consumer behind.

I am so angry at your company and the problems and time you have taken from me. I bought one of the FIRST commercially available X6800's, and only now do I have a machine that runs for more then a day without crashing. I am not ignorant to creating systems. I help many people on many different websites. I have been building IBM machines since the first 286 came out. I have NEVER had such a bad experiance... you have wasted my time, my money, and many other companies money. Shame on you and your company.

God Bless You, And I hope you (the person's reading this email) are blessed in Life. I wish no harm to anyone, and only like to help. I work on forums to help people with their computer problems. I do not get paid, nor do I want to get paid. I am giving Asus every oportunity to make things right. Please help me, and take care of my problems.

Peace be with you,
Mike

I have included a rewriten version of my problems based on a forum thread that I have writen... You may read my complete report at Toms Hardware Forumz: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/hate-Asus-Part-Bios-509-ftopict201614.html

I have created a shorter and more presentable list of all problems associated with my purchase.
--------------
When the new version of the Asus Bios... 509 came out... and I finally had a chance to finish testing it out...

I found out that the 2 Lite-On SATA DVD-Readers that I received, and then had to RMA back to NewEgg cause they didnt work... I have the drives cause NewEgg doesnt ask you to ship back items under $25... Upgraded to 509... and then a week later thought... maybe I should try this drive again... YEP IT WORKS... Well that was Asus 309 Bios's fault...

I found out that the x6800 has an unlocked multiplier now... All the way up to a wopping 13x... (15 for the Deluxe). I am VERY upset at this difference.

I found out that the Memory voltage is still maxed at 2.1v... Making me undervolt my corsair 8500c5... Which is still (maybe) reliable at 1066 (though it requires 2.2). In addition the default settings for the corsair memory are incorrect.

I found out that if I change the FSB +/- 1 at any memory multiplier, the machine will almost immediately fail the prime95 stress test...

I found out that the only change I CAN make is to change the multiplier from 11 to 12 and ONLY if I set everything manually ... Though I can run it at 3.5volts and Prime for over 1 hour, and I dont need to increase the FSB voltage anymore then I think 1.3, which I assume is default... and If not I could try 1.2!

Asus has left the p5b Basic in the dust... and it SUCKS! How can a company produce a range of MoBos then leave one of the mobo's so unstable that it barely runs the current technologies...

If it didnt advertise itself as a overclocking motherboard, and as a motherboard that supports the x6800, then things would be different... But the Asus P5B basic is not reliable for normal usage or overclocking .

No $160 Mobo should have so many problems... If only Asus could feel a portion of my anger, they would quickly change their product support...

Yesterday the machine crashed when I plugged into a USB device. The Logitech Momo Steering Wheel is self powered through a power supply of its own. The drivers I am using, and the Momo Wheel have been used for months in another machine without a single failure...

This leads us to a defective product/bios that results due to certain USB support on P5B...

I know that the Asus P5B has other defects... and I havent seen a single acknowledgement of any defects. This makes it impossible for individuals like me to sort out problems, and ultimately leads me to RMA perfectly functional products. Which has happened, over and over again.

I expect Asus might get the DAMN hint and decide that if they screw people, that they will turn around and screw them back... I am on a personal crusade to lower overall sales on ALL Asus products... and will continue this crusade until the DAY I die, or until Asus does something to solve my problems.

Dude you might get more respect if you knew how to spell.

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
I love how on the side of my Motherboard box, it says "Speed on Demand" or some bullshit... Pisses me off...

I know it is lame, that's how they get nOObs and newbies all excited :lol:

But still, P5B is the best mobo i've ever had

RE5PECT

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Wow, new version of the Asus Bios... 509 came out... and I finally had a chance to finish testing it out...

I found out that the 2 Lite-On SATA DVD-Readers that I received, and then had to RMA back to NewEgg cause they didnt work... I have the drives cause NewEgg doesnt ask you to ship back items under $25... Upgraded to 509... and then a week later thought... maybe I should try this drive again... YEP IT WORKS... Well that was Asus 309 Bios's fault...

I found out that the x6800 has an unlocked multiplier now... All the way up to a wopping 13x... (15 for the Deluxe)

I found out that the Memory voltage is still maxed at 2.1v... Making me undervolt my corsair 8500c5... Which is still reliable

I found out that if I change the FSB +/- 1 at any memory multiplier, the machine will almost immediately fail the prime95 stress test...

I found out that the only change I CAN make is to change the multiplier from 11 to 12, if I set everything manually and make the changes Wusy suggests... Though I can run it at 3.5volts and Prime for over 1 hour, and I dont need to increase the FSB voltage anymore then I think 1.3, which I assume is default... and If not I could try 1.2

I love how on the side of my Motherboard box, it says "Speed on Demand" or some bullshit... Pisses me off... Asus is a bunch of F@(K@^S!

I just DONT have any money to buy a new MoBo... I spent my limit...

Asus SUCKS...
Mike

Hmm... I used to have an a8n-32sli, mb chip fan died. Emailed asus for support, nothing. Emailed again, nothing. Finally called Asus AUS, they promised to send a new fan... Nothing.

Got a new asus a8n 32-sli deluxe. (well, a dead chipset doesn't make for a very good mb...) And out of the box it was buggy. sli was non-functional. Got the newest bios, and my video driver went to hell. Installed new video driver (supplied by asus, as I have their vid cards) and no good. Finally dwnlded Nvidia drivers, and mostly came right, but only in sli x8 mode.

Then came home one evening, turned system on and got a puff of blue smoke... And my 1kva ups tripped its CB!

Took it back to the shop I purchased it from, the CPU (an fx 55) was fried. The PSU was still working, but they recommended I not trust it. They offered to RMA the MB, would take a week (or two, or three). So I said thx, but no. Got a DFI MB, an amd 3700 (what they had easily in stock) and a new PSU.

Luckily the mem and GPU's were OK.

Next day I trashed two asus MB's in the square bins and brushed that brand forever from my brain. Until now....

I'd now trust a VIA chipset before I'd trust asus.

my 2p.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Done... No advice here... go to another forum for help... to much flame here... I dont want to be associated with any discussions here, sorry if you want advice go to OCforums or another website...

McParty

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
I agree with the adict fish: totally... you say you bought the extreme ed.? get off the fracking forum! you're a richie rich måfå I got an E6300 to go 3.6GHz on a P5B with CorsairXMS2-6400-CL5 mem(2x1G) using the 0614 bios.. update your bios, or be happy beeing rich but dåmb!

Wait a minute... I didn't think the Premium wifi board was out yet that was for the core 2 duo??

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
1st. Every motherboard company has probably about the same amount of bad or fault motherboards, some more then others, and Id say ASUS is probably somewhere at the top.

Iv'e Owned 3 ASUS mobo's and I own the same as you do, the ASUS P5B regular, I have had no problems with it and hope not to. All 3 have never given me a problem.

So your 1 bad mobo and not getting tech support response doesnt mean ASUS sucks. Now about the tech support and emails I haven't ever emailed them before so I cant comment on that, and getting a bad mobo does suck but doesnt make ASUS suck.

Remember there are thousands and thousands just because 10 are bad from each company doesnt make them all suck.

Just my input. Bad luck of the draw =\

Storm~

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Or you could of had a werse of a time. You mainly just got one of the few bad // faulty boards per 1,000.

And considering your now overclocking it I dont see why your throwing a fit.

aielman

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Or you could of had a werse of a time. You mainly just got one of the few bad // faulty boards per 1,000.

And considering your now overclocking it I dont see why your throwing a fit.

So he got the bad board out of 1000.

What's the excuse for Asus lying outright about a board's chipset?

Just curious...because the P5NSLI is advertised as having a 570 chipset, but it has an nforce 4 chipset. That's deceptive business practices...it's illegal in every state in the US actually.

peace,
Aielman

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Done... No advice here... go to another forum for help... to much flame here... I dont want to be associated with any discussions here, sorry if you want advice go to OCforums or another website...

Assman

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2005
Don't jump to conclusions too quickly! Did you try to rma mb or run on different ram?

I have the same board and i love it, great design, stable @ my oc of 8*400, and a good price too. My impression is that you've CTRL+C & P your comment from newegg reviews, that are written (most of the time) by complete nOObs who complain about every little incompatibility or price.

RE5PECT

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006