[SOLVED] Why i have different ping with the same connection?

Apr 19, 2020
Hey thanks for reading my question. I am playing games on my laptop using wireless connection. It was fine until the few last months. Now i have unstable ping between 60-140 ms. It used to be stable at 20 ms. I contacted the ISP and they say there is no problem. I tried to run the game on my sister's laptop. Turn out the game run with a stable ping at 17 ms. So i think there is a problem with my laptop. Do you know any solution for this problem? My hard drive health is low, does that affect the ping? thank you in advance.

Solution
The hard drive should not affect the ping time. BUT you have to be actually testing with a ping command not something the game tells you. A game put a lot of load on machine. A simple ping from the command prompt is not going to even care if a hard drive exists.

You could test with a ethernet cable and see if it is different. They both should have the same issue if it is a problem with the machine.

Wifi is really strange. It is affected by many things. Even very slight difference in position can greatly affect the wifi signals. It is really hard to say. You have people that have identical laptop place in the exact same position that perform differently. Most times it is something like one machine is in a room getting...
The hard drive should not affect the ping time. BUT you have to be actually testing with a ping command not something the game tells you. A game put a lot of load on machine. A simple ping from the command prompt is not going to even care if a hard drive exists.

You could test with a ethernet cable and see if it is different. They both should have the same issue if it is a problem with the machine.

Wifi is really strange. It is affected by many things. Even very slight difference in position can greatly affect the wifi signals. It is really hard to say. You have people that have identical laptop place in the exact same position that perform differently. Most times it is something like one machine is in a room getting more interference form neighbors than the other machine.

You could have a defective wifi card but that is not likely.

This is one of reasons they say to not play games on wifi. Almost every other function is not affected by unstable ping, pretty much only online games. These strange wifi problems come and go and are hard to find the actual cause of.

Solution