Why I have Nvidia and its not just the lack of the 790i!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
Why i hate nvidia:
First, i hate nvidia since they will not support SLI with intel chipsets - nvidia refuses to licence intel sli

second, i hate nvidia do all the problems with vista and 650i chipset - which i am working on right now

third i hate nvidia since the 680i and 650i can not power quad cores past 3.2ghz and 2.8ghz respectfully

finally i hate nvidia for this crappy 780i mobo where is the %%^ 'n 790i mobo? now i hear its feb or march!

where is the ddr3 sli mobo? why not let intel build them since they know how - nvidia sucks!

PS: i hate nvidia for 8800GTS 512 that should have been called the 9800GTS

2nd ps: ....... all the rereleases of the same products!

what about the crappy non-oem pcb for the 8800GT's that fail?

come on ati gogo hd 3870 xt

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
And the point for this thread?

Palease NVIDIA has brought us the top crown performing GPU for that last year which is unbelievable.

Everyone is having problems with things working on VISTA... same as when XP came out and same as when 98 came out, you know full well these issues will be sorted out. Seems you have the bug of hardware early adoption.

To my knowledge the 680i issues and the 780i issues are all Intel in the fact that they havent disclosed full information about the operation of new quad cores to NVIDIA

Ever thought that NVIDIA relise the DDR3 is a waste at the moment, no CPU requires it so why should they work on it? Every remember RDRAM? Intel tried to push this too but failed miserably.

8800GTS 512mb wasnt a new architecture so why should they use the next series up? It was a die shrink nothing more.

Re-Releases? which ones are those? if you are refering to the 8800GT and 8800GTS G92 they werent the same products as mention before they had a die shrink. And need i say a significant performance increase to boot, for less cost. How can you rag on that?

I think you have had a few bad experiences from poor choices. Either you didnt read enough or didnt listen to others advice.

NVIDIA will also be more than likley be the first ones to release multi GPU with an intergrated chip, they have also created the ESA standard which should take off (and already has alot of support).

Get your head out of the sand.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
Nvidia lover?

Sure - i buy alot of nvidia products - it does not mean i have to like they way they do biz.

the lack sli licensing for intel should make them ashamed - its poor asian blood biz tatics. why not licence sli?

we could have ddr3 sli mobos right now!!!!! WHY NOT - ONE REASON nvidia refused to let intel build sli into mobos that have been ready for years for sli

intel should not licence quad core technolgy back to nvidia but then we all loose.

we are all lucky intel is a nice company while nvidia is out for nvidia

WHERE IS THE 790I THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE HERE THIS WEEK - NOW ITS 2 MORE MONTHS!!!!

I COULD BE USING AN INTEL MOBO IF F'N NVIDIA WOULD LET INTEL DO IT!

buy ati!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
i sent 2 650i mobos back to asus this week
i send 650i mobos back to asus every month

back experience? no - lack of tech support no!

get the facts stait - nvidia has the best gpu's and they make us pay big time and they stifle competition in the mobo area from intel chipsets by not licencing sli.

thats not all! you ever why asus has so many issues with nvidia chipsets while evga does not have the same issues - nvidia gives special treatment to there tier one builders

these are my observations

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

It's not a legal issue (licensing), it's a graphics driver issue. Since Intel doesn't make nVidia graphics drivers, a license would do nothing to help it. nVidia blocks SLI from working on Intel chipsets simply because if they didn't, very few people would buy nVidia chipsets.

You'll see Intel's new X48 board soon with an nVidia chipset component: The added part serves almost no function except to give the graphics driver a chipset component by which to validate SLI mode.

Kind of like those parallel port dongles people once had to use with certain business software.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
nVidia blocks SLI from working on Intel chipsets simply because if they didn't, very few people would buy nVidia chipsets.

that is illegal - do you know that?

nvidia claims intel does not know how to build chipsets

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

It's not illegal because SLI is an added feature, so there's no threat of monopoly. Remember that SLI once worked with Intel chipsets, before nVidia changed the drivers.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Nvivia is just trying to survive any way they can, ask yourself these questions. Who is the biggest CPU manufacturer in the world? Who sells the most graphics chips in the world? Answer to both, Intel. If Nvidia were to license SLI to Intel it would take a big chunk out of half their business, chipsets. Intel would then be able to market boards which are compatable with both SLI and Crossfire which would cause a huge shift in the market away from Nvidia's products. It's not greed it's survival.

Xtreeme

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
Nvidia owns the tech, its theirs they dont HAVE to sell it to anyone....till a contract is involved or otherwise they have the right to say no.

Illegal no, buisness strategy Yes. Youll find most buis. strats are similar very blunt and to the point. I wanna sell MY chipsets not yours so Ill have a feature not on your chipsets. In the end nvidia will give in of course we all know that. Meantime nvidia is taking in the $.

Intel is nice co? Ok. They are all the same dont listne to marketing. Why intel doesnt have new AMD/ATI chipsets? Could it be that Intel doing same thing to amd that Nvidia is doing to intel. You bet and they dont deny it.

You find a "new" chipset since amd got ati on the intel platform. If intel wants to pinch Nvidia thats their only option since the 3 top are Nvidia Intel and AMD (ATI) chipsets.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Crap, just when I'd cleared the air here we go again with talk of "licensing" and "selling". LICENSING OR LEASING OF TECHNOLOGY IS NOT INVOLVED. NVidia makes drivers for NVidia graphics cards, their drivers prevent SLI mode from operating on competing chipsets.

Intel isn't even in the loop. If Intel bought a license, SLI still wouldn't work. Intel doesn't make NVidia drivers.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

o contuearl misuser (f the french crap!) - ok excuse me!!! but .....

the 975x mobo's where ready for SLI and nvidia would not licence the technology - you do not think intel can make an sli mobo?

that is not it at all! nvidia blocks intel from making sli mobos!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You're shooting off in the wrong direction. The 975X motherboards were SLI ready and nVidia disabled it in the final graphics drivers: the beta drivers worked fine. It's not about licensing (letting Intel use the tech), it's about driver manipulation (letting the USERS use the tech).

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I am confused, this thread is called "why I have Nvidia and its not just the lack of the 790i"

So.... get to the point, why do you have Nvidia?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

LOL, I think he meant to type "why I hate Nvidia..."

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
I have nvidia because i have too!

i have 650i mobos that i hate! all kinds of vista isuses
i have 680i mobos i hate more! can not power quad cores

i have a 780i mobo i kinda of like it, but i really want a 790i! i want it now!

i do not want to pay $600 or $800 for video cards - nvidia sucks!

ok i am just venting and i have to use nvidia since nvidia will not let intel build sli - ok since nividia disabled intel driver support

gogo hd3870x2 this is going to put the hurt on nvidia for next 18 months!

weilin

Distinguished
Quick question, since, we're discussing Nvidia. Have they fixed their HD controller problem? The last article from Toms showed the nVidia chipset not being able to bench more than 100MB/s. I have confirmed this with a 680i board from a friend. His raptors in RAID 0 read speed is only 102MB/s. This seems rather odd to me cause my seagate 7200.11 get 80MB/s by itself. I was expecting raided raptors to achieve 140-150ish. He is currently thinking about getting a 780i chipset and i was wondering if nVidia cleared that up yet. Also, to anyone with a RAID/Raptor setup on ANY nVidia chipset. Do you also experience this problem? Is this limited only to the 680i? or intel line boards? or all nVidia chipset boards in general?

PS. Benchmark numbers from Sandra HD benchmarking tool.

Systems Tested:
Abit board with 680i chipset
Latest video and chipset drivers
windows Vista 32bit premium/Ultimate
2gb ddr2 800 ram
2 raptors 150 in RAID 0 Drives
100MB/s read performance

HP laptops with 6150 chipset (out of curiousity, not sure if the limitations are from HDs or chipset)
Latest video and chipset drivers from nVidia
Vista 32bit premium/ultimate
2gb of ram
various Hitachi HDs ranging from 80 to 120gb at 5400rpm to 7200rpm
all three drives report approxmiately 40MB/s read performance

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Im not an NVIDIA fanboi... i just buy the product based on its merit and performance and over the last year that has been NVIDIA in the form of their GPU's

Why MUST you use SLI? anyone hear will tell you that multi card setups can be sketchy at times especially when your talking about a completely new OS thats only been around for ~12months.

I think everyone has been spoilt with the maturity of XP for so long they cannot accept the fact that anything new will take time.

What GPU's have you got? because if you havent got something like 8800GTS (g92) or GTX in SLI your wasting your time you may as well have a single card. And i hope to god you have a high resolution monitor, because if you dont your wasting time and money with SLI. You have proved that with how many boards you mention you have bought (i assume in the last 12months).

Best bit of advice i can give you... well 2 bits... The best of every component put together doesnt make it an awesome machine... And... The newest and most hyped products dont make an awesome rig either...

starcraftfanatic

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
First of all, what is wrong with the 780i that the 790i will fix?

second, no one is going to make a ddr3 sli mobo when all of 10 people will buy one for their 7000 dollar system

Third: if you got a glimpse of THG review on the 3870X2 before they pulled it, you would see it has trouble beating ONE ULTRA!

Let me remind you, sir, that you don't have to have them - there are other graphics options on the market.
NVidia isn't forcing you to buy a 650 motherboard.
You're just frustrated because you bought a product that isn't very good.
Next time, do your homework.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
thank you all!

first i have lots of computes and i build about 1 week myself - some have 3 8800GTX's some have well ...... one lesser card!

i appreciate all your imput

no - i do not have to buy nvidia, yes i do have to buy it when my customer wants it

yes - i do have to buy sli mobo's to give my customers the option to upgrade the gpu by adding 2 cards

why 790i? big bandwidth boost! its important

why the high end systems? i am selling 3 monitor systems at 2500i or even 3400i if the gpu could put it out

as far as me and gaming

i run 1 8800GTS 512 i bought i first thing and swaped for my 8800GTS 640

my son runs a 2900 pro we just swapped for a 1950xt

i also run more systems with same cards

i do have 3 8800GTX cards being put in box in for triple montior systems and desperatly want the 790i mobo - hence in my frustation i made this thread

so come on nvidia stop over charging, start shipping product promised (790i was too ship with the new intel chips last week) - please give us updates sooner