Discussion Why I usually don't use mechanics...

[gripe]
So, the Highlander threw a CEL a few weeks ago. I pulled the code history and then current codes, and saw that it was a minor evap system leak--nothing to be in a hurry about. (Yeah, that was a mistake, and totally MY fault.)

However, I got into a pinch with family and business obligations, and an AC issue cropped-up; and so was forced into renting a vehicle and taking the Toyo into a mechanic that my father considers to be some kind of detail-oriented God of auto mechanics.

A couple days later, I pick up the puddle jumper, and all appears to be well....except....

Less than 25 miles out from the mechanic's shop, the low tire pressure light pops-on.

I stop and get out to check the inflation, and all tires are equal pressure and at spec. Then I notice that the shop swapped my spare to the PS front; which tells me that it's never going to stop throwing the error, because it's an indirect TPMS system on the 04's. The larger diameter of the spare will give me a slower ABS sensor pulse train--enough to force the system to nag me.

Fine....I'll switch the spare back to the carrier...when I get around to it. At least I know what the issue is, and I can keep an eye on tire inflation in the meantime.

Yesterday, though, while I'm about 65 miles away from home, the CEL rears it's ugly head--again.

I stop the car, get out the code reader, and find that it's throwing a P0455, P0446, and P0441--vent and purge flow, with a large leak in the evap system.....grrrrr. I guess a look under the hood can't hurt.

I take a look, and find an incorrectly routed evap hose.
Why did they make a bone-headed move like that?
Ohhhhh! They routed the hose to make the smoke test more convenient to do, and never re-routed the hose properly because that was inconvenient--for them.
LAZY!
They also used some scrap piece of oil line to replace the stock evap hose that was obviously the cause of the small evap system leak. Seriously...it was NOT new oil line, and had either a tire tread or boot tread mark on it.
They also charged me for a stock Toyota evap hose, which is about 100-times more expensive than the scrap of oil line that they probably picked-up from the service bay floor.
So what?
The incorrectly routed hose put strain on the interface between the flex hose from up on the manifold to the hard line back to the fuel tank....and the engine torque pulled the hose loose....leaving it dangling in the breeze....back by the firewall.
There's forethought for you.

So I spend a few minutes tearing things down to get access to the manifold area, and route the hose correctly, then clear the OBD codes. Nice day for it.....it was HOT yesterday afternoon, in LA County.

Sitting in the car, with the AC running, I called the Toyota parts department, back near home, and ordered the correct hose; along with the rest of the components in the subsystem, because everything up there is seriously crispy, and ready to fail anyway. At this point, given the age of the vehicle, there is no reason not to do the system filter and evap canister, too.

The parts will be in at 09:00 this morning, and--oh goody!-- I get to spend a few hours of spare time that I don't have, doing what I paid the mechanic to proactively do in the first place. It's going to be great fun, dropping the fuel tank to get at the canister.....NOT.

Honestly, I would be money-ahead if I had just taken the time, myself, to diagnose the original fault, and order everything needed to remediate the aging evap system components.

Note to self: Stop procrastinating with the small stuff.

Every so-called "professional" mechanic that I have ever run into spends more time setting you up for the next repair job, than he spends competently repairing the current issue with your vehicle.

Outside of AC system repairs, I think I'm done taking the chance that mechanics will do right by the customer; and, even then, I'm buying the parts ahead of time, take them in, and tell the guy EXACTLY what I want done, and how I want it done.

Bleh.....
[/gripe]

Ralston18

Titan
My suggestion is to have a nice chat with the mechanic shop manager.

A nice talk, document the issues, and then lacking any satisfaction - file the necessary complaints with BBB, Toyota, whomever.

At least you still have the knowledge, abilities, and tools for DIY repairs.

All too many people do not and some who once could, no longer can....

Bungled repairs and associated rip-offs for anything (cars, appliances, homes, computers, etc.) are widespread. Even with dealerships and larger, supposedly reputable businesses.

Unfortunately it seems that, overall, very little can be done...

What was that quote about the drums beating "doom, doom, doom"?

Ready Ranter1.

I thought Toyotas never broke :ROFLMAO:
Dealerships are ripoffs, i learnt that recently when looking at a 2018 ram.

All of these evap systems, other emmisions stuff, and electronics just make everything overly confusing, especially on diesels.
Give me a chevy 350 any day over a new prius, even though it is a toyota.

I can only imagine just how complex one of the latest volvos are to repair. The xc90s have a 4 cylider with a supercharger, turbo charger, as well as a hybrid system and all wheel drive. Nice and simple.

...have a nice chat with the mechanic shop manager...
The owner, actually. My dad is into a bit of hero worship, and likes to be the kind of person who "knows a guy", and landed on this guy after the last guy did him wrong. He used to be reasonably good but, like all businesses seem to, he's on a bit of a decline, quality-wise. Personally, I think that he's much better at doing oil changes minor maintenance....and recommending that people buy new cars, than he is at doing the kinds of things that require true thought and investment of time.

I'll steer clear of the Shaal Forest. ;)

I thought Toyotas never broke...

LOL....well, this one is an '04, and has never had an occasion where it wouldn't start, and has never broken down on the road (well, outside of a flat on the freeway that took 10 minutes to swap-out with the spare), doesn't burn oil (actually, the oil still drains fairly clear on changes), and the engine is still as quiet and smooth running as the day it was born. At 425K on the odo, I think it still has a decent service life left on it.

We picked it up at 79K 5 or 6 years back years ago and, in the time that I have had it, it has been an absolute pleasure to drive.

Keeping up on the maintenance is key, though; and, over the long-haul, it's less expensive to maintain a vehicle than it is to replace it.

...Nah, you don't need to fix that.

I heard that from this guy, when I talked with him about what SHOULD be done to my dad's Camry, instead of what he thinks he should SETTLE for being done to the thing.

The number 3 COP bit it, and I had to brow-beat the guy into replacing all 4 at the same time:
"Why pay to replace all 4 when you don't have to?"
"Because it's cheaper to replace all 4, now, than to have my dad pay you to replace one of the other 3, when it fails four months from now; and, then one of the other two original COPs when it bites the big cookie another month or two after that. That's why."

I'm sure his attitude is along the lines of: "Why collect a single labor fee for replacing 4 COPs, when you can quadruple your labor income by replacing them one at a time, on different dates?"

COPs are $42.00/per, and he charges $180.00 to install one....$720, by the time you are done eeking it out over the course of a year, instead of $348.00 to replace them all at the same time....all by flogging the price differential of $126.00, telling you that he's trying to "save" you money.....and that works with my dad.

Anyway....I did pick-up the parts, at the dealership, and hammered a few RedBulls on the way back home.

Most of the hoses, all of the valves, and the system filter are all taken care of; and, since my wife is working late, tonight, I have enough time to drop the tank, replace the canister, the remaining hoses, and clean up before leaving to pick her up.

Break time is over, and it's back out to the driveway to finish things up.

D

Deleted member 14196

I thought Toyotas never broke :ROFLMAO:
Dealerships are ripoffs, i learnt that recently when looking at a 2018 ram.

All of these evap systems, other emmisions stuff, and electronics just make everything overly confusing, especially on diesels.
Give me a chevy 350 any day over a new prius, even though it is a toyota.

I can only imagine just how complex one of the latest volvos are to repair. The xc90s have a 4 cylider with a supercharger, turbo charger, as well as a hybrid system and all wheel drive. Nice and simple.
be nice dude. they are uber reliable when taken proper care of. they don't have a great reputation for nothing

that said, i would see Jonathan Ward for a new one right away. His FJ rebuilds are AMAZING!! made to last at least 50 years or more
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq5TGhnqe0Q