Why i5 ivy bridge don't have HT?

dudeknows

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
I have i3-3220 and want to upgrade to i5 ivy series because i want to give this i3 to my brother as a gift to her birthday this coming november.

I guess i5-3450 fit my budget well, Will do some gaming and photoshop/aftereffects as well. Is this CPU ok?

I heard i can max this CPU to 3.9ghz but i doubt i cannot use multiple task to it. Am i wrong? Because all I5 series don't have Hyper threatening unlike i3 and i7.

I guess i5 is only build for gaming..

Can i use multi task using this i5-3450 ??? you know like HT can do.

dudeknows

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

Any thoughts about hyperthreading ? i5 don't have it :(

InvalidError

Titan

Going from i3 with HT-off to HT-on gives 25-30% extra performance on heavily threaded applications that have instruction mixes that lend themselves well to SMT parallelism.

Going from i3 with HT-off to i5 gives you ~100% extra performance on similarly heavily threaded applications without having to worry about whether or not the instruction mixes are SMT-friendly.

So you can expect ~50% better performance going from i3 to a similarly clocked same-generation i5 in heavily threaded application and multitasking scenarios.

InvalidError

Titan

That obsession with "bottlenecking" is bothering me... something ALWAYS bottlenecks and the exact balance between the point where the GPU and CPU bottlenecks first varies from game to game, application to application, GPU to GPU, settings to settings, resolution to resolution, etc.

If the CPU becomes the choking point in a particular game, increase graphics detail. If the GPU is the main bottleneck, decrease details.

There is no single be-all, end-all answer to the loaded question of bottlenecks when things can so arbitrarily be swung either way so easily.