Question Why i7 8750h CPU frequency in idle droping ?

Oct 16, 2019
Hi ! I have a HP OMEN 15 with I7 8750H (RTX 2060) and i have some problems with CPU. In idle i have a lot of Frequency drops, very fast from 3.8 Ghz, to 1.2, 0.9. Why is that happening in idle ? And 1 more thing. I have 85-90*C temperatures in some games without Thermal Throttling, common at these laptops, but i have cpu usage drops from 80% to 30% and i have framedrops, but the frequency still up at 3.9 Ghz. What's wrong with my CPU ?

Kiril1512

Distinguished
About frequency drops:
When PC on Idle it is normal that your frequency will drop like that. In perfect Idle scenario you would see only 0.9 and 1.2 Hz but you see the dynamic increase and drops because of some background task running and other stuff...

About CPU temps:
I have an laptop with 8750H and RTX 2060 and I have same temps as you even after thermal paste replacement (mostly 80-85º, battlefiled V is + 92º) .

About FPS drops:
If you have fps drops its for sure because of temperature, the best thing you can do is following:
  1. If you still have warranty and don't feel confident to open your laptop to replace thermal paste you can install Intel Extreme Tunning Utility and do a CPU under-volt, which you can test what is the best value for your cpu. This can drop some ºC and the problem will disappear. You can learn more about it here.
  2. Buy a cooling pad (this works better if your laptop have air entrance in the bottom of your laptop.
  3. Replace the thermal pad, this maybe the best option available.

Oct 16, 2019
About frequency drops:
When PC on Idle it is normal that your frequency will drop like that. In perfect Idle scenario you would see only 0.9 and 1.2 Hz but you see the dynamic increase and drops because of some background task running and other stuff...

About CPU temps:
I have an laptop with 8750H and RTX 2060 and I have same temps as you even after thermal paste replacement (mostly 80-85º, battlefiled V is + 92º) .

About FPS drops:
If you have fps drops its for sure because of temperature, the best thing you can do is following:
  1. If you still have warranty and don't feel confident to open your laptop to replace thermal paste you can install Intel Extreme Tunning Utility and do a CPU under-volt, which you can test what is the best value for your cpu. This can drop some ºC and the problem will disappear. You can learn more about it here.
  2. Buy a cooling pad (this works better if your laptop have air entrance in the bottom of your laptop.
  3. Replace the thermal pad, this maybe the best option available.
1.The laptop have undervoltage
2.Thermal Paste it's replaced by me and i have better performance nd scores
3. I have an Cooling Pad
But, i didn't replace the thermal Pads.
Anyway, Frame drops appear after 20 minutes i think, maybe faster, but just in some games. Anyway, thank you for help !

Reactions: Kiril1512