why intel chipsets have two inf version drivers?

Marcelo_32

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
This has always bugged me, the description for the two versions are the same also.

For example, the intel inf drivers for the Z270 chipset: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/98089/Intel-Z270-Chipset

There is a 10.1.17 version and a 10.1.1.42 version.

My only guess its that the first has drivers which include other types of chipsets aswell and the second only has the specific drivers for z270???

I installed 10.1.17 after installing 10.1.1.42. Now the 10.1.1.42 says there is a newer version installed.

Solution
The first one is the utility that installs the INF files second one updates it according to that document

I think you can just install the latest one
If you want to undo this you can go back to an earlier restore point that was made before these things got installed. In fact when you install these it should’ve created a restore point for you that way you can return to where you were and I would put the latest version on

Marcelo_32

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017

I did in fact do a restore, but the question still stands, why do they release 2 versions of the same drivers?
This is something they have been doing for decades and I cant understand their motives.