Why is 4 gbs usable out of 8 gbs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kacey_S

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
I recently upgraded my computer to 8 gbs and got Windows 7 64-bit so I could run more RAM. The control panel says that only 4gbs are usable. I know its 64-bit and I've gone into the BIOS but could find no memory remapping or whatever its called.

Intel core i7 860 @ 2.80
G.Skill Ripjaws 8 gb
ASUS P7P55D-E LGA 1156 mobo
1TB
2x Radeon HD 5770

Kacey_S

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Well I let it run for a few hours and there has yet to be any error reports. I assume that means that the memory is fine? Do you want me to post a snapshot of it? I'm not at home tonight so I can tomorrow. I guess since everything basically works, I'll probably have to update the BIOS then because that seems to be the only thing that would cause this problem.

Kacey_S

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
So I just updated the BIOS through the ASUS Update Utility, exactly the way it told me to in para 3.2.3. Still no change. I went into the BIOS after the update and it still reads usable memory at 4096mb or whatever it is. In the task manager it reads as 4 available and 4 in hardware reserve, and in the control panel it reads at 8.00 gbs with only 4 usable. Very strange. The sticks work too I suppose. Should I try and put them in the black slots instead?

Kacey_S

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Well good news, I swapped out the ram sticks into different slots and voila. The BIOS recognizes them. I start up and the control panel sees it as 8.00, the task manager sees it properly too. I suppose there was something going on with the BIOS version, because I had tried to swap out the sticks before the update and nothing worked, reseated them and so on. Now it works after the update, so I don't know what was different, but whatever it is it works. Thanks everyone for your help, it was great!