Why is 8950hk config upgrade SO much more than 8750h?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eltouristo

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2006
I'm not asking a general stupid question for people to say 'that's just how much it cost' or 'it's worth it'. I mean, does anyone have the actual reason? Does it really COST the (bga MB) suppliers that much more to get the chip from Intel vs the 8750h? I am talking about what is generally around $600 more JUST for that upgrade! But you see the internet published Intel price difference between the two chips is 'only' about $200 So...THAT is either wrong or there is something else going on. I still sorta think there is an ACTUAL 'legitimate' reason, like it does actually cost close to that much more for vendors to get it in their hands. BUT, I know it could be 'other reasons'. It seems to be consistent across all vendors...but they could just all be forced to pay up somehow from a single supplier...idk. SOMEWHERE in the supply chain it seems to be that ($600) much more...but where? and why? Anyone know? If I knew that, I might not feel quite so UTTERLY frustrated and refusing to considering to muster almost 50% more for my base config vs 8750h. Though I still probably would never pay an extra $600 for that. I would gladly pay $200-300, maybe $400 at the outside, but $600 is just like *** ?!' I can't have what I want/need because.. screw u and your *** up pricing ! It's seems just weird...like they DON"T want people to get the better chip/mb, or some weird 'catch 22' where they are afraid to have adequate supply of them from fear of less demand from slightly higher price, which ends up making price dramatically higher? R/D and production costs of MB etc are, or should be, all be the same or very nearly so. Yeah I have no idea. Just pissed really. I think it's an interesting question I've not yet seen any clarity on. I sorta doubt there is some 'conspiracy' to 'gouge' those that 'have more money than sense' but, in the laptop industry, well...let's just say there are probably too few suppliers for everyone's good, idk. Still I more strongly suspect there is a 'legitimate' reason, I just have no idea what it is and am very curious about that.

Solution
No, it won't cost the manufacturers anywhere close to +$600.

Take a look at ark:
https://ark.intel.com/products/134903/Intel-Core-i9-8950HK-Processor-12M-Cache-up-to-4_80-GHz
https://ark.intel.com/products/134906/Intel-Core-i7-8750H-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4_10-GHz

The recommend increase to *customers* is <$200 on the chip. Mfg's will probably be paying a $100 premium or something.

But the "why" aspect is much greater. Overclockable, requires more complex cooling solutions = more R&D = more 'cost' passed onto the consumer.

On top of that, if people will pay a $600 premium all else being equal (haven't substantiated that number myself), then why wouldn't they?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

You are getting the only answers that can be provided. There really isn't any more that anyone can provide as it seems you won't be satisfied with any response.

Supply. Demand. Companies will charge what they believe the market will pay. Premium components fetch premium prices.

Sometimes the answer is "that is just the way it is".

Good luck finding your answer.

One cannot prove a negative. Say I claim reindeer can't fly. I capture 100 reindeer, push them off a cliff, and all of them plummet to their deaths. I have not proven that reindeer cannot fly. I have only proven that those 100 reindeer could not fly. Even if I gathered every reindeer alive, and pushed them all off this cliff to their deaths, you could counter that the reindeer chose not to fly, for some reason preferring death over revealing their flying ability. It is impossible for me to prove that reindeer cannot fly.

OTOH, if you produce a single flying reindeer, then my claim is utterly and irrevocably disproven. Since proving a positive is possible, while proving a negative is impossible, the burden of proof falls upon the person advocating the positive hypothesis to prove it.

Likewise, we are telling you how pricing should work out if things are left to market forces. If you believe differently, it is not up to use to prove that Intel is not manipulating prices - that is impossible to prove. It is up to you to prove that Intel is manipulating prices. And speculation is not proof. You'll need to do some investigative reporting and get your hands on some of the contracts Intel makes with motherboard manufacturers. Yes we are making assumptions about the nature of the pricing. But lacking evidence to the contrary, these assumptions are the ones which have the highest probability of being correct. The situation changes if you can dig up evidence, but thus far you haven't provided any evidence. All you've done is post speculation, and attacked anyone who offered an explanation counter to your speculation.

Small correction. It is not greed which allows it. It is the fact that the buyer is getting more value out of the purchase than what it cost him to acquire it. If the buyer is getting $1000 worth of value out of the product, and is upset that the manufacturer is charging him $300 instead of $200, then it's the buyer who is being greedy. Not the seller.

This sort of resale with added value is what makes the economy work.

A mining company sells a quantity of iron ore to a refinery for $2, because it only cost them $1 to dig it up.
The refinery buys the ore for $2, because they can sell the refined iron to a smelter for $3.
The smelter buys it for $3 because they can sell the final steel ingot for $4.
The tool company buys the ingot for $4, because they can use it to make a hammer they sell for $5.
The hardware store buys the hammer for $5 because they can sell it for $6.
The carpenter buys the hammer for $6, because he can use it on his construction projects to get more than $6 of value out of it.

Change the tool company selling the hammer for $50
then change the hardware company selling the hammer for $100

Then you can see it's a rip off, just like memory and many other things.
Putting low value on it, makes it look better in your eyes, but the truth is, nothing is marketed or sold like you seem to perceive.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Realistically, regardless of the actual values involved Sonandri is correct.

There's three types of consumers, and only two are relevant here

1. A consumer with more money than sense & wants the bragging rights of having X product.
2. A consumer who feels a given product represents a good 'value' between performance & price.
3. A consumer who depends on a given product & simply has to buy that, specific product - regardless of cost.

Clearly #3 has no place in the argument - mobile processors simply are not a 'need'

Leaves you either consumers who just want the product & those that feel it represents a fair value proposition.

Regardless of how a product is marketed, the consumer dictates demand

If you feel it's a "rip off", don't buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS