Why is a budget gaming PC less power than consoles?

Turbo_Gamer3222

Reputable
May 24, 2016
I am deciding between a budget gaming PC with Pentium G4560 gold and gt 1030 and a PS4/XBOX 1. I have seen in various threads that the ps4 processor based on jaguar architecture is way weaker than modern CPUs. Then why can said console run games at max settings at constant framerate but for the PC the settings have to be toned down?

Solution
First off, consoles don't run max settings at a constant framerate. A lot of games are not natively run at 1080p. The will run 720p @ 30fps. Framerate drops happen in consoles as well.

The advantage consoles have is they have an OS installed that is designed for one thing, gaming. Whereas a PC has Windows, Linux, or MAC OS. These operating systems are used for many more things that gaming, so they really hurt performance. The advantage is, you PC can do a lot more than gaming, but it is also a weakness.

I love PC gaming and recommend it over console gaming. But in all honesty, if you just want to game, I would probably go with the new xbox 1 x over a system with a g45650 and a gtx 1030. I think I would have a better experience...
For openers a console runs nothing but the game. It does not need much of an operating system. It does not need much of a driver base. It is a very basic device.

Also the video card you selected is very basic. Not a gaming card. Worse than the consoles come with. Go up to a 1050ti or above for a better gaming experience.

A console is better only when you are limited to around 500 + a monitor(or TV). You can't work hard and save up for a better console until they feel like releasing one. While on the PC there are almost always newer, better parts. Finally on a Console, someone else gets to decide how you get to game, on a PC you make the call.

First off, consoles don't run max settings at a constant framerate. A lot of games are not natively run at 1080p. The will run 720p @ 30fps. Framerate drops happen in consoles as well.

The advantage consoles have is they have an OS installed that is designed for one thing, gaming. Whereas a PC has Windows, Linux, or MAC OS. These operating systems are used for many more things that gaming, so they really hurt performance. The advantage is, you PC can do a lot more than gaming, but it is also a weakness.

I love PC gaming and recommend it over console gaming. But in all honesty, if you just want to game, I would probably go with the new xbox 1 x over a system with a g45650 and a gtx 1030. I think I would have a better experience then trying to tinker with settings or dealing with disappointment when a game I want to play wont run very well. I am sure all of the "PC master race" guys will attack me, but the new xbox hardware is fairly impressive.

Solution

Yes, a 1050 should do 30+fps on 900p. The settings will be more game dependent, but you should be able to hit medium settings in a lot of games and stay above 30fps.