[SOLVED] Why is AMD Radeon RX 590 hated in all hardware communities?

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
Since the launch, I've been seeing people's hate towards that GPU, but I personally didn't mind and I am the owner of one since June 2019.
So far, I have encountered no problems apart from the adrenalin 20 (perfectly stable on 19 while 20 makes it +16C and halves FPS for no effin' reason) but that's besides the point, that is driver's fault, not GPU's.

In all communities in which PC techs support users, they all advice RX 580 over anything else for a minimum budget build, and if people have bigger budget and ask for the RX 590...well, prepare for the SHlETstorm because people will still use all caps to say "GET RX 580, FLICK THE RX 590, IT'S THE WORST CRAP EVER!"

I never asked a thing because I don't need a cyber bully, so let me ask you guys here:
Why do people hate the RX 590?

Solution
Their only real flaw is that they're fairly power hungry for their performance. Particularly the 590.

But they offered great performance for the price. Admittedly, the 590's price/performance was only good when on sale, but aside from that the RX 580 and the RX 570 have generally been the go to for good price/performance.

It's only with the more recent pricing of the 1660 that Nvidia encroached on the 590's price/performance, and only with the 1650 Super that Nvidia touched the RX 580 for price/performance.
Since the launch, I've been seeing people's hate towards that GPU, but I personally didn't mind and I am the owner of one since June 2019.
So far, I have encountered no problems apart from the adrenalin 20 (perfectly stable on 19 while 20 makes it +16C and halves FPS for no effin' reason) but that's besides the point, that is driver's fault, not GPU's.

In all communities in which PC techs support users, they all advice RX 580 over anything else for a minimum budget build, and if people have bigger budget and ask for the RX 590...well, prepare for the SHlETstorm because people will still use all caps to say "GET RX 580, FLICK THE RX 590, IT'S THE WORST CRAP EVER!"

I never asked a thing because I don't need a cyber bully, so let me ask you guys here:
Why do people hate the RX 590?

First of all, I haven't seen anyone talking trash about the 590 on this forum.

Secondly, not a lot of people who are keeping up with the market are going to recommend either of those cards to someone in October 2020. Why?

1. Unless they are extremely discounted, cards better in several ways can be had at similar price points (1650 super and 1660 super for example)
  2. Both the 580 and 590 are notoriously power-hungry and hot for the performance they provide.
  3. The people that buy these types of cards are looking for cheap parts, and thus their system oftentimes isn't very well equipped to support the power draw (PSU) and heat dissipation needs (case ventilation) of these cards.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Their only real flaw is that they're fairly power hungry for their performance. Particularly the 590.

But they offered great performance for the price. Admittedly, the 590's price/performance was only good when on sale, but aside from that the RX 580 and the RX 570 have generally been the go to for good price/performance.

It's only with the more recent pricing of the 1660 that Nvidia encroached on the 590's price/performance, and only with the 1650 Super that Nvidia touched the RX 580 for price/performance.

Reactions: Raikko Kiminen
Solution
Good question.
I did a bit of research.
Anything can fail.
On newegg, verified user reviews, I found that the RX590 was a bit more prone to failure when compared to a similar performing GTX1660.

RX590 is also a hot card, needing some 100w more than the GTX1660.
Heat from graphics cards can nave a negative effect on cooling other components.

Solid failure rates are hard to come by.
This article was from 2014 suggesting that the amd cards did not fare as well as nvidia.
I do not know how current units fare:

An interesting statistic is that about half of the failures from either nvidia or amd
happened during installation testing.
That is not all bad since such cards will be under warranty.
Failure after warranty expires is what is bad.

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
Not sure where you get your information but those cards are about 2 1/2 years old now.
The 580 was a good card and the 590 depending the price and your budget at that time.
My mistake, when I said "all communities" I meant all those that I am in, disregarding this one. The least "offensive" thing they say is it is the worst of all Polaris series.

I don't think there's ever been 'hatred' for the rx 590.

Maybe some disdain because its a heavily overclocked 580 that draws 25% more power for a 10% performance increase and was sold at a big price premium..

The same kind of disdain that is aimed at the ryzen xt cpu's compared to the regular or x models because they're a fairly blatant cash cow for amd.

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
Good question.
I did a bit of research.
Anything can fail.
On newegg, verified user reviews, I found that the RX590 was a bit more prone to failure when compared to a similar performing GTX1660.

RX590 is also a hot card, needing some 100w more than the GTX1660.
Heat from graphics cards can nave a negative effect on cooling other components.

Solid failure rates are hard to come by.
This article was from 2014 suggesting that the amd cards did not fare as well as nvidia.
I do not know how current units fare:

An interesting statistic is that about half of the failures from either nvidia or amd
happened during installation testing.
That is not all bad since such cards will be under warranty.
Failure after warranty expires is what is bad.
I can understand that, though the temps can be lowered by simply slightly lowering clock and then lowering the voltage by a lot. I don't run mine at 1560 but at 1480, but I did lower my volts from 1150 to only 920, thus keeping my temps below 72C at all times, mostly running at 67C is demanding titles. With it I did lose 4-6FPS...the world is ending, damn lol

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019

Yeah, I remember very well when 1660 was launched, it was far better GPU for the money. But the actual question was related to people hating on the RX 590 while still giving lots of love to RX 580.

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
First of all, I haven't seen anyone talking trash about the 590 on this forum.

Secondly, not a lot of people who are keeping up with the market are going to recommend either of those cards to someone in October 2020. Why?

1. Unless they are extremely discounted, cards better in several ways can be had at similar price points (1650 super and 1660 super for example)
  2. Both the 580 and 590 are notoriously power-hungry and hot for the performance they provide.
  3. The people that buy these types of cards are looking for cheap parts, and thus their system oftentimes isn't very well equipped to support the power draw (PSU) and heat dissipation needs (case ventilation) of these cards.
My apologies, when I wrote "all communities" I disregarded Tom's Hardware Forum as I myself didn't see "hate" here as well.
The reason why the RX 580 is recommended so much is because of the price which is about 80 euros second hand or 170 new (at least in my country) and for beginners who are only now building their first PC and are on extremely low cash, that just might be the best possible option (again, talking about my own country) but the least of all evil said to the RX 590 is "it's the worst of all Polaris series" even thought it came out later and better.
I can't disagree about temps, it does require better case/cooling but slight underclock and big undervolt help a ton for a low price of 4-6FPS in big titles.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
My apologies, when I wrote "all communities" I disregarded Tom's Hardware Forum as I myself didn't see "hate" here as well.
The reason why the RX 580 is recommended so much is because of the price which is about 80 euros second hand or 170 new (at least in my country) and for beginners who are only now building their first PC and are on extremely low cash, that just might be the best possible option (again, talking about my own country) but the least of all evil said to the RX 590 is "it's the worst of all Polaris series" even thought it came out later and better.
I can't disagree about temps, it does require better case/cooling but slight underclock and big undervolt help a ton for a low price of 4-6FPS in big titles.
Most of the time here their a lot of posters that are mature and have a lot of knowledge and experience. That is not saying their not some people that post comments that make some of us scratch their head.

A lot of the other forums I have seen are full of mostly 10 year olds that know absolutely everything with a few mature people mixed in.

Raikko Kiminen

Reputable
Sep 11, 2019
I don't think there's ever been 'hatred' for the rx 590.

Maybe some disdain because its a heavily overclocked 580 that draws 25% more power for a 10% performance increase and was sold at a big price premium..

The same kind of disdain that is aimed at the ryzen xt cpu's compared to the regular or x models because they're a fairly blatant cash cow for amd.
Understandable. I have a question regarding this, though:. While people opt to get RX 580 and R5 2600 and overclock the hell out of them, I went for RX 590 and R5 2600X because I am not confident in overclocking. If RX 580 OC'd comes pretty close to RX 590 and R5 2600 OC'd comes pretty close to R5 2600X then I got the parts that need no overclocking to work at their best already. I wouldn't say I am a wussy for being scared of to high temps and shortening the life span of my parts, but if I payed a bit more for the parts I got, then I don't need to worry about anything.
Am I right or am I just being uneducated about those things?