Question Why is Asus' UEFI 'Adaptive Mode' voltage maximum going beyond what I set it to in Windows?

willyburns

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
Hello people,

I'm trying to use Adaptive Mode for CPU voltage in the UEFI on my Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme, and despite having set the 'Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage' to 1.20V, when I load into Windows CPU-Z states that the maximum my CPU is using is 1.25V. I've looked into this and it appears that the motherboard automatically offsets to this value, and the guide I looked at specified that I should change the "IA AC & DC Load Lines to 0.01"; however, in the Rampage VI Extreme BIOS there's no option to do that – or the fields have been reworded – in the 'Xtreme Tweaker' section.

Does anybody know where I go in the UEFI to adjust this, and should it still be 0.01? Or if it's completely changed, can anyone advise me on how to use Adaptive Mode to where it only boosts to what I set it to? If you were wondering, the reason for doing this is to reduce unnecessary power consumption when idling and while doing light tasks, because I rarely use my PC to game on at the minute.

Why on earth do Asus give the user an option to set the field manually when they're only going to mess with it behind the scenes? :unsure:

System Specs:

i7-7820X @ 4.7 GHz, 1.20V
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB @ 3200 MHz
NZXT Kraken X72
Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 238GB
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB
Asus ROG Thor 850W Platinum

Over and out . . .

You might have a very aggressive LLC set which is causing the voltage to overshoot. On Asus boards Loadline Calibration is set by levels, usually 1 through 9 with 9 being the most aggressive.

Failing that you can also try achieving what you want with an Offset voltage, Adaptive mode can be somewhat flaky on what it actually does depending on board and BIOS revision.

willyburns

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2014
You might have a very aggressive LLC set which is causing the voltage to overshoot. On Asus boards Loadline Calibration is set by levels, usually 1 through 9 with 9 being the most aggressive.

Failing that you can also try achieving what you want with an Offset voltage, Adaptive mode can be somewhat flaky on what it actually does depending on board and BIOS revision.

My LLC is set to 3. Interestingly, when I check the voltages of each core I can see that only core 0 boosts to 1.25V, whereas the rest go to 1.2V, but this is still increasing the temperature.