Question Why is default CPU benchmark crashing my pc?

Benjy67

Prominent
May 19, 2017
I recently upgraded to an i9-9900K. I used the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility program to start overclocking. I'm still very new to overclocking CPUs, so i started slowly and used default settings. After many crashes, I went back to default ghz (which is 4.7) and tried running a benchmark. It also crashed. Why am I crashing at default overclock settings? I ran into a loop of the computer encountering a problem, and no way to fix it until I went onto a restore point. Not sure what happened or what I'm doing, but I'm done overclocking without some serious help.

For some information when I overclocked, I used 1.2volts and tried 5.0ghz. I currently run default volts and 4.7ghz, (default) but I dare not benchmark anymore. When I do, I crash immediately.

My idle temps are 40-60c.

Side note: should I be worried about the current state of my new CPU?

I would not expect 1.2V to work w/ stability, frankly, the 9900K is just two overclocked 7700Ks (effectively), of which mine required 1.248 (stock) to hit 4.7 GHz, but, was insufficient for 4.8 GHz, which would crash Prime95/blue screen/reboot within 20-30 seconds..... An extra .05V was needed for 4.8 GHz, but, I was unsatisfied with 7-8C increase in temps to even 83C, so stuck with 4.7 GHz...

Have you tinkered with any core voltage offset settings in XTU....? Is your mainboard's BIOS set to default/auto for voltage settings?

What is your motherboard? 9900K needs a better than average motherboard for overclocking.
What is your case and fan setup?
What is your cooler?
At idle, you should see 10-15c. over ambient.

Much more and check your cooler installation and your case airflow.

What is your temperature when running XTU? XTU is a heat generator and 100c. will throttle or fail.

Benjy67

Prominent
May 19, 2017
What is your motherboard? 9900K needs a better than average motherboard for overclocking.
What is your case and fan setup?
What is your cooler?
At idle, you should see 10-15c. over ambient.

Much more and check your cooler installation and your case airflow.

What is your temperature when running XTU? XTU is a heat generator and 100c. will throttle or fail.
The case is thermaltake 32 tg temp glass mid-atx tower with default fans (1 in back, 2 in front).

Im using a noctua nhd15 as my cpu cooler. These fans are pointed upwards or down, not really sure which direction.

I usually startup XTU on startup and use default 4.7ghz. I use that software to check my temps.

Never seen anywhere 15-20 idle temps. I thought 40-60 was normal when I saw reviews of the cpu cooler I was using.

I dont want to spend more money on a new motherboard. I figure the MSI Z370 SLI PLUS is good enough. If its horrible for what im doing, then recommend the best so I dont need to upgrade next year...

Benjy67

Prominent
May 19, 2017
stick with 1 thread
"Your PC ran into a problem and requires a restart" loop... I think something is permanently damaged, before going to bed I was able to get into windows. I had to restore, but if this is gonna keep happening, I think I need to take the cpu back for a refund.

To keep it short, I was overclocking and failed a lot.

Problem:Not being able to boot properly. Run Benchmark step1 will crash my computer. Not going to test on lower core ratios to avoid further damage.

PS should i change individual cores instead of all?

Taken steps:Reset bios settings, lowered XTU default 4.7ghz to 3.6ghz idle temps now at 40c

Specs:
i9-9900k cpu
MSI Z370 SLI PLUS mobo
Noctua NHD15 cooler
750w bronze psu

idle temps 40-60c @4.7ghz (XTU default)
Should i lower the core ratio to avoid crashes/not being able to boot? Im not overclocking in bios, just changed core ratio and voltage to 1.2v on the XTU program.

Benjy67

Prominent
May 19, 2017
ThermalTake 750W Bronze PSU. Could it really be not enough power delivery? Booting up today, I had immediately crashed, so I had to system restore again. I changed XTU default ghz to 3.6ghz just to be safe today. Idle temps about 40-50c now.

Benjy67

Prominent
May 19, 2017
new setup, fans going sideways out back of case. 1000w evga supernova replaced and new ram sticks, gonna test after i get the z390 asus rog strix

Benjy67

Prominent
May 19, 2017
New motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E. I tried overclocking the CPU in the bios, but I think it's grayed out. I'm trying to manually adjust the core ratio, but it doesn't let me. Can someone tell me how to do this?

If it's not a huge deal, can someone explain the difference from overclocking in bios and from the Asus IXTU program? They don't seem to be matching in terms of overclock settings/performance, so I'm completely lost on how to effectively overclock...

nicholas70

Reputable
May 15, 2016
I was going to say it sounded like your mobo wasn't powering the cpu properly causing it to fail under load. It is my understanding that Z370 broads are not cut out to run an i9, so that is probably the source of your problems.

TRENDING THREADS