why is defragmenting bad for ssds?I

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
I heard a lot of people talk about how defragmenting is terrible for solid state drives. Assuming that a person never defrags their solid state drive, will it drastically reduce their system performance? Is defragmenting the reason why some people's ssds fail really quickly?

hitokiri1

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008

No need to defrag, due to the nature of solid state drives.

Solid state has a lifetime that is determined by the number of writes to the drive. Defragging performs a large number of write operations across a large portion of the disk, for no real benefit (on an SSD).

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Thats completely irrelevant... Not only is RAM written to differently, its also volitale so it looses (starts over) data everytime you reboot (or turn off) your machine.

I agree with cjl, as Solid State memory has a "lifetime" that has a limited number of writes to each sector before it becomes useless. This is why recent drives have a process that actually writes blocks to every location on the disk to evenly to ensure premature wear on a section of the disk doesnt occur.

Defragmentation simply re-arranges the blocks on a disk so that they are read in sequence to create the file they make up. Some defragmentation software will also arrange this blocks in the "faster" section of the hard drive "outside of the platter" so that they maybe more quickly accessed. This betters seek times for any given file in turn increase read speed. With SSD defraging would cause unneeded writes to a disk making its life shorter, and would also not increase efficency anywhere near as much since SSD's have an almost instant seek time which is the very thing that defragging tries to lower.

myminpins

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
So are you saying defragging is good for solid state drives or not?

I have always religiously defragged my drives because that is what EVERYONE says we should do.

Are you now saying we should NOT do this?

If we do not do this, will the whole computer slow down (assuming running Windows 7)? If not, why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.