Why is editing slow on R7?

TheShadow123

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017
Hey guys, I have a Ryzen 1700. I bought this processor for better video editing power than my old i3 system, and it is no faster. Its just as slow as editing in Blenders video editor. I mean even dragging the frame head, or your playback marker, causes some serious lag. Even in Davinci resolve, it does the same thing. I've had Resolve even crash on me due to it freezing. I've seen people with half the horsepower of my system render out 4k videos faster than i can.

If i'm not mistaken, this processor should absolutely demolish my old Skylake i3 What gives?
Can anyone help me with this? Am I doing something wrong?

It could be that the specific tasks you're dong are not well threaded - not every part of editing and rendering is highly parallel. Ryzen may have 4x as many cores, but if they're sitting idle, they're not doing you any good, and each core on a 3-4 year old i3 is just as fast as a Ryzen 7 core.

TheShadow123

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017

It was a clean install. I seem to be the only one having editing problems with Ryzen. Not only the rendering, but just moving around the timeline is a massive pain in the ass, so slow and hangs after every move.

TheShadow123

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017

Remember, this is Blender's Video Editing Software, not 3D.

Specs:
MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic
R7 1700 Stock (for now)
EVGA GTX 1070 SC
8GB HyperX Fury Black 2133 MHz
EVGA 500w PSU
NZXT S340

I need help, it's a pain in the ass to try and get work done.