Question Why is G-Sync Not Working?

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
V-Sync Is DISABLED In-Game.
FPS Limited to 143 for this test (144Hz Refresh Rate Monitor)
G-Sync Enabled In the Control Panel for Full-Screen Only, Game is in Fullscreen.
Displayport is used.
Still getting tearing for some reason

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
With V-Sync disabled, if you are exceeding 144 FPS, then G-Sync will not operate past that point. If you turn V-Sync on, then G-Sync will still be working AND stop more than 144 FPS from being attempted.

I've found some games will only work if they are in a full screen window mode.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
See: https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/ and https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/15/

The optimal settings for G-Sync are:
  • Enable only for full screen mode and run games in full screen exclusive
  • Enable V-Sync in the NVIDIA control panel, disable V-Sync in the application
  • Set the frame rate cap to at least 3 below the maximum refresh rate
The reason why you need driver wide V-Sync is because G-Sync only adjusts the refresh rate period and it cannot account for frame time variance. So if the GPU renders a frame in say 10ms, it adjusts the refresh rate period to 10ms on the assumption that the next frame will come at 10ms or later. But if the next frame is really done in 6ms, the GPU still does a frame buffer swap, causing tearing because the monitor is still in the middle of displaying the frame buffer.

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
With V-Sync disabled, if you are exceeding 144 FPS, then G-Sync will not operate past that point. If you turn V-Sync on, then G-Sync will still be working AND stop more than 144 FPS from being attempted.

I've found some games will only work if they are in a full screen window mode.
As stated, the test is performed with 143FPS lock.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure I agree that if a frame comes early it will display it as soon as possible, I think it would wait for the next planned refresh cycle. With V-Sync off it might, if it was dancing around that 143/144 frame cap and refresh limit.

I've not had any issues with G-sync On plus V-Sync on at 144hz, pretty much just leave it there for all games.

But my experience comes from a G-Sync monitor, not a G-Sync compatible.

Not sure I agree that if a frame comes early it will display it as soon as possible, I think it would wait for the next planned refresh cycle. With V-Sync off it might, if it was dancing around that 143/144 frame cap and refresh limit.
From what I could find and what BlurBusters is suggesting, G-Sync doesn't prevent frame buffer swaps. It only adjusts the time to the next VBlank period. V-Sync is what prevent frame buffer swaps.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Unless it has changed my understanding was this:

G-Sync + V-Sync:
Below VRR threshold = Adaptive V-Sync (ie repeating frames), Above VRR threshold and below Max Monitor Refresh rate: G-Sync active, Above refresh rate is capped.

G-Sync + V-Sync off
Below VRR threshold = Adaptive V-Sync (ie repeating frames), Above VRR threshold and below Max Monitor Refresh rate: G-Sync active, Above refresh rate uncapped, no Sync.

Now this section may be relevant to the OP situation:

Nvidia Control Panel V-SYNC vs. In-game V-SYNC
While NVCP V-SYNC has no input lag reduction over in-game V-SYNC, and when used with G-SYNC + FPS limit, it will never engage, some in-game V-SYNC solutions may introduce their own frame buffer or frame pacing behaviors, enable triple buffer V-SYNC automatically (not optimal for the native double buffer of G-SYNC), or simply not function at all, and, thus, NVCP V-SYNC is the safest bet.

There are rare occasions, however, where V-SYNC will only function with the in-game option enabled, so if tearing or other anomalous behavior is observed with NVCP V-SYNC (or visa-versa), each solution should be tried until said behavior is resolved.

Try both and see if anything changes.

PaPies

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2014
Unless it has changed my understanding was this:

G-Sync + V-Sync:
Below VRR threshold = Adaptive V-Sync (ie repeating frames), Above VRR threshold and below Max Monitor Refresh rate: G-Sync active, Above refresh rate is capped.

G-Sync + V-Sync off
Below VRR threshold = Adaptive V-Sync (ie repeating frames), Above VRR threshold and below Max Monitor Refresh rate: G-Sync active, Above refresh rate uncapped, no Sync.

Now this section may be relevant to the OP situation:

Nvidia Control Panel V-SYNC vs. In-game V-SYNC
While NVCP V-SYNC has no input lag reduction over in-game V-SYNC, and when used with G-SYNC + FPS limit, it will never engage, some in-game V-SYNC solutions may introduce their own frame buffer or frame pacing behaviors, enable triple buffer V-SYNC automatically (not optimal for the native double buffer of G-SYNC), or simply not function at all, and, thus, NVCP V-SYNC is the safest bet.

There are rare occasions, however, where V-SYNC will only function with the in-game option enabled, so if tearing or other anomalous behavior is observed with NVCP V-SYNC (or visa-versa), each solution should be tried until said behavior is resolved.

Try both and see if anything changes.
I've tried some combinations of your mentioning and I've had no success before, I'll try again for the sake of trying as I want it working but I doubt it.

TRENDING THREADS