[SOLVED] why is Ge Force RTX 2080 ti shutting down PC ?

Jan 17, 2020
Hi, when im gaming after an hour or sometimes after 5,10 or 15 minutes my fps's suddenly drop down and then the screen turns black and the monitor says it has no signal and my pc needs to be re started manually , it happens to me with every game i play. Any ideas of what could be happening ? thank you a lot, this is my build:
i9 9900k 3.6 GHz
Ge Force rtx 2080 ti
Rog Maximus XI hero (wifi)
64 GB Ram
Psu Corsair RM1000x
Monitor IPS LG 34W650

Solution
Your problem is that the 2080ti is a hot card. You don't have enough ventilation in your case if you only have one exhaust fan and the CPU radiator fans. That is most definitely not adequate. Though that is a big case I'd get some more fans
Yeah that's definitely not the best case for airflow.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONGbgF6t03w
Stock, with its 4 fans only performs about as well as a Meshify C stock, with 2 fans. And that makes perfect sense, considering the entire front panel is basically just choked off, and the only intake comes from the top and bottom.
Highly suggest adding more fans. The top is mesh, so you may consider adding intake fans up there.
Jan 17, 2020
The H115 is mounted to the CPU though, and the GPU is air cooled, right?
What is your whole spec list? How are the fans configured in your case? What does your GPU fan curve look like? Have you overclocked it?
I have overcloked my gpu with no better results, yes the H115 is mounted to the cpu and the gpu is air cooled, maybe is a RMA situation ?

Ferimer

Distinguished
You might not be getting proper airflow I side your case to allow the GPU to fully cool down thus shutting itself off and your computer. Open your case up and get a can of air to clean it all up might be dust build up. You should be cleaning once a month and twice a month if you heavily game and have pets. If you dont have any fans pushing air in and out it will get really hot and 90 degrees Celsius ?

Jan 17, 2020
Case: Asus GX601 ROG STRIX HELIOS
Fans are 1 in the back of the case and in front I have the radiator of the cooling system installed,
View: https://youtu.be/FpmDa5VetME
I overclocked the gpu with that video and now IT seems that IT was the solution, I dont know if this is optimal but now every time I play a game I run that software and the temperatures stays at 40 degrees Celsius, now that is working for me but i still have my doubts.

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
I have the same problem but for me, problems are probably old drivers or PSU.
I guess your PSU is good. Its hard to test it beside putting another and try with that.
-

Also try to undevolt GPU with software like MSI Afterburner. I did that to my GPU (not overclocked) and reduced voltage from 1.48 to 1.00V, and now my GPU run 10-11 celsius lower.

Reactions: gizeh21

Afro_ninja199

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I guess your PSU is good. Its hard to test it beside putting another and try with that.
-

Also try to undevolt GPU with software like MSI Afterburner. I did that to my GPU (not overclocked) and reduced voltage from 1.48 to 1.00V, and now my GPU run 10-11 celsius lower.

whats the point in having a 2080 ti and having to under clock it though lol

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
Its UNDERVOLT not UNDERCLOCK. There is a difference.

Undervolt means lower the Volt on the gpu core not the speed like undeclock.

Cuz many GPUs have the higher default voltage from the start. You can easily test that with lowerng the voltage and stress test it in furmark etc to get the stable voltage. You can lower consumption plus you will lower the temps.

Jan 17, 2020
-

Thank you so much, ill try to reduce the voltage with the software of the video to see what happens, i also activated the performance button on my gpu, tonight im going to test that configuration.

Your problem is that the 2080ti is a hot card. You don't have enough ventilation in your case if you only have one exhaust fan and the CPU radiator fans. That is most definitely not adequate. Though that is a big case I'd get some more fans
Yeah that's definitely not the best case for airflow.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONGbgF6t03w
Stock, with its 4 fans only performs about as well as a Meshify C stock, with 2 fans. And that makes perfect sense, considering the entire front panel is basically just choked off, and the only intake comes from the top and bottom.
Highly suggest adding more fans. The top is mesh, so you may consider adding intake fans up there.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
If you have a rad in the front it’s blowing hot air into the case so you need to suck out even more air than usual unless you switch the way the air goes. I had a similar problem with one pc I had so I put in a pci bracket blower cooler to suck out all the hot air and then the temps were ok. On another note I had a x58 system with a Xeon I overclocked to 4.5ghz and had to use a bathroom vent fan to cool it but atleast I got 1000 in cinebench r15

If you have a rad in the front it’s blowing hot air into the case so you need to suck out even more air than usual unless you switch the way the air goes.
While putting a rad in the front as intake will make the air slightly hotter, it doesn't really make a difference in GPU temps. The temp difference of the air will be minor, and the difference in temps of the GPU, for example, is within margin of error, since it's more important that air is flowing than the temperature of the air. Sucking out more air than you need to will basically have the same effect as pushing in more air than you need to, but it will accumulate more dust. If you put three fans on top as exhaust, air will start drawing from small holes in the case, PCI covers, etc. since not enough is coming from the front. If you put three fans on top as intake, the air will instead go out of said small holes, but more of the air from the front will go to the GPU instead of the CPU. In both cases, the GPU will have lower temps, though.

On another note I had a x58 system with a Xeon I overclocked to 4.5ghz and had to use a bathroom vent fan to cool it but atleast I got 1000 in cinebench r15
That's pretty awesome though.

TRENDING THREADS