[SOLVED] why is Ge Force RTX 2080 ti shutting down PC ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 17, 2020
Hi, when im gaming after an hour or sometimes after 5,10 or 15 minutes my fps's suddenly drop down and then the screen turns black and the monitor says it has no signal and my pc needs to be re started manually , it happens to me with every game i play. Any ideas of what could be happening ? thank you a lot, this is my build:
i9 9900k 3.6 GHz
Ge Force rtx 2080 ti
Rog Maximus XI hero (wifi)
64 GB Ram
Psu Corsair RM1000x
Monitor IPS LG 34W650

Solution
Your problem is that the 2080ti is a hot card. You don't have enough ventilation in your case if you only have one exhaust fan and the CPU radiator fans. That is most definitely not adequate. Though that is a big case I'd get some more fans
Yeah that's definitely not the best case for airflow.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONGbgF6t03w
Stock, with its 4 fans only performs about as well as a Meshify C stock, with 2 fans. And that makes perfect sense, considering the entire front panel is basically just choked off, and the only intake comes from the top and bottom.
Highly suggest adding more fans. The top is mesh, so you may consider adding intake fans up there.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
While putting a rad in the front as intake will make the air slightly hotter, it doesn't really make a difference in GPU temps. The temp difference of the air will be minor, and the difference in temps of the GPU, for example, is within margin of error, since it's more important that air is flowing than the temperature of the air. Sucking out more air than you need to will basically have the same effect as pushing in more air than you need to, but it will accumulate more dust. If you put three fans on top as exhaust, air will start drawing from small holes in the case, PCI covers, etc. since not enough is coming from the front. If you put three fans on top as intake, the air will instead go out of said small holes, but more of the air from the front will go to the GPU instead of the CPU. In both cases, the GPU will have lower temps, though.

That's pretty awesome though.
Idk I’m willing to bet if there was atleast another fan on the back it would run considerably cooler. The first system I talked about had a rad on the front with two 120 fans and a single 120 on the back and my rx480 was overheating constantly so I put that pci bracket fan on it and it dropped the temps a lot

Reactions: extreme_noob
Idk I’m willing to bet if there was atleast another fan on the back it would run considerably cooler. The first system I talked about had a rad on the front with two 120 fans and a single 120 on the back and my rx480 was overheating constantly so I put that pci bracket fan on it and it dropped the temps a lot
It's hard to know for sure without trying it out. But I'd say putting more fans in the top would be more convenient than a PCI bracket fan.

Reactions: 86zx
I saw an interesting video on youtube about degredation of RTX 2080ti's using the Micron Memory Chips. They are the ones failing most of all and on thermal scanning they were getting really hot causing all sorts of issues. The RTX 2080 and ti versions with the Samsung chips were not suffering to nearly the same extent, so check what memory chip you have and maybe you can get it sorted from the maker.

I doubt this is just an airflow problem.

This maybe or not your problem but certainly worth taking into consideration.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5memuI5WD4

I saw an interesting video on youtube about degredation of RTX 2080ti's using the Micron Memory Chips. They are the ones failing most of all and on thermal scanning they were getting really hot causing all sorts of issues. The RTX 2080 and ti versions with the Samsung chips were not suffering to nearly the same extent, so check what memory chip you have and maybe you can get it sorted from the maker.

I doubt this is just an airflow problem.

This maybe or not your problem but certainly worth taking into consideration.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5memuI5WD4
That's confirmed long time ago to not be true as many Samsung users had failed cards, its just that the majority of RTX are sold with Micron memory. The issue is from the GPU core by nvidia as there was a fab contamination in where nvidia produced the core.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Jan 17, 2020
While putting a rad in the front as intake will make the air slightly hotter, it doesn't really make a difference in GPU temps. The temp difference of the air will be minor, and the difference in temps of the GPU, for example, is within margin of error, since it's more important that air is flowing than the temperature of the air. Sucking out more air than you need to will basically have the same effect as pushing in more air than you need to, but it will accumulate more dust. If you put three fans on top as exhaust, air will start drawing from small holes in the case, PCI covers, etc. since not enough is coming from the front. If you put three fans on top as intake, the air will instead go out of said small holes, but more of the air from the front will go to the GPU instead of the CPU. In both cases, the GPU will have lower temps, though.

That's pretty awesome though.
Thank you sir, which fans do you recommend ? or which case do you recommend ?

TenekTek

Prominent
Jun 15, 2019
Hi, when im gaming after an hour or sometimes after 5,10 or 15 minutes my fps's suddenly drop down and then the screen turns black and the monitor says it has no signal and my pc needs to be re started manually , it happens to me with every game i play. Any ideas of what could be happening ? thank you a lot, this is my build:
i9 9900k 3.6 GHz
Ge Force rtx 2080 ti
Rog Maximus XI hero (wifi)
64 GB Ram
Psu Corsair RM1000x
Monitor IPS LG 34W650
this thread belongs in GPUS.

Thank you sir, which fans do you recommend ? or which case do you recommend ?
Fans:
For low noise, get bequiet silent wings fans. For general high performance fans, get Noctua fans, like the NF A12x25, F12, or P12.
Cases:
I suggest a Fractal Design Meshify C or S2, or Phanteks P400A. All are mesh fronted. Meshify cases come with a foam dust filter on the inside of the metal mesh, and I highly recommend you cut those off. If you want a glass front panel, you can go with the Lian Li PC O11 Dynamic. Keep in mind the O11 Dynamic doesn't come with fans, so you'll have to get your own.

Reactions: gizeh21

TRENDING THREADS