[SOLVED] Why is Google Drive Desktop 'Add Folder' been doing the death spin wheel for Drives and big files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2022
I've been trying to upload a Physical drive to Google Drive Desktop App for almost 8 hours. It's been sitting in the "Spinning wheel of death" instead of showing up how much data is in the drive. I have uninstalled, removed caches, and reinstalled Good Drive Desktop multiple times, and still doesn't work. I tried using files instead of the Physical drives and it works for smaller files but when the files are bigger. It doesn't work.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you have >5GB size files try to up/down load them one by one or in groups of 3 files of 5GB size each in average.

If the file size is bigger than this Google will detect that you are trying to make a big up/down load and some how it will start slowing down your transfer speeds even if you have 1GB symmetric internet speed limits, applying the 1:10 rules, you will get about 100 MB transfer speeds if the cap exists depending on your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
https://support.google.com/drive/th...google-drive-slow-download-upload-speed?hl=en

can take 1 hour per GB so... how much on the drive?

Mar 30, 2022

Hi Colif,

Thank you so much for your reply. The 1st drive I’m trying to upload is roughly about 800GB and the 2nd is about 300GB. So overall almost about 1.1TB. I’ll see if I can give the Google Drive Desktop a Maximum data upload speed of 10mbps. Hopefully this will show the whole drive?

Side note: This is where the spinning of death is happing: I go to the Google Drive Desktop Icon at the task bar > Settings > Preferences > Add Folder (Or drive) then that’s when the circle of death loads for hours. Again, when I use smaller GB files, it shows up instantly.

Mar 30, 2022
if Google made a search engine that actually worked it would be much easier to find the answer.

things that might help - https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2565956?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Desktop

its possible its syncing, if you have 1.1tb of files, its going to take a while.

Hahahaha, I agree! Thank you for that link, I will surely take a look through to see if there are any resolutions to get this resolved.
About the Syncing, I was thinking about that also. Maybe I should wait for 12 hours? Again, It's so bazaar that it would take almost 8 hours or even more how to recognize how much data it has. If I upload a single file that is about 80GB, it recognizes that file size instantly. But if I add a 150GB file, it gets that wheel of death again.

Colif

Win 11 Master
5 or so years ago now when my internet upload speed was .87 mbit/s I mistakenly decided to upload my music folder to Google music. I had no idea how slow my internet speed was back then. But that upload process took 6 months but the delay was on my end not theirs... that and almost every day I would stop the upload almost right away as it killed my internet. I should have stopped it really.

I assume your upload speed is a little faster. Mine is too now, same process would take a few hours.

you might want to post on google support, your file sizes are way bigger than what link talks about.

I don't know if sync is what its doing, is there any network activity while it spins? Its possibly its uploading

Mar 30, 2022
5 or so years ago now when my internet upload speed was .87 mbit/s I mistakenly decided to upload my music folder to Google music. I had no idea how slow my internet speed was back then. But that upload process took 6 months but the delay was on my end not theirs... that and almost every day I would stop the upload almost right away as it killed my internet. I should have stopped it really.

I assume your upload speed is a little faster. Mine is too now, same process would take a few hours.

you might want to post on google support, your file sizes are way bigger than what link talks about.

I don't know if sync is what its doing, is there any network activity while it spins? Its possibly its uploading

That is very interesting. Last year I remember I backed up my drives and it didn't really have any problems uploading (the only issue was the uploading). But sadly my Windows was getting corrupted this past year and it wasn't functioning correctly with my GPU. So that's why I am re-uploading my drives. I did send out a post forum on the Google Drive Community and other people are having the same issue as well. I contacted Google Drive Support VIA by email and it seemed like they avoided my question.

I checked the network activity in task manager and there is no data going in or out on the drive. Which is weird.

Mar 30, 2022
Could be a problem Google have to fix but the people who answer questions don't have any idea when it might be fixed.

Here is an UPDATE. Google Drive Desktop finally fixed the issue. Once I clicked 'Done' while the death spin is still occurring. It took almost a day or two before the drive started uploading. Before it didn't upload at all. Right now my computer has been uploading almost 800GB for the past 3 days. Still have a ways to go sadly. But at least it's making some good progress.

Thank you again for trying to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.