Question Why is GPU so hot while idle?

Jan 11, 2020
Hello, i have 2 monitors one of them is 144hz, my gpu is a 980ti, temperatures were always between 55c and 60c, it never went over 70c, not even close, sudently yesterday, my monitors started to act slightly strange, when i checked the GPU temperature it was over 90c, the fans works really well, but only over 50% of the speed, below 50 doesn't get any cooler.

I suspect that the gpu is a bit dirty, should i clean it and apply thermal paste?

Thanks.

lynx1021

Distinguished
You may be able to blow the dust out of the fans and fins. Replacing the thermal paste may be a pain because a lot use thermal pads on the VRM's and memory that can get damaged when taking apart. If you have to replace thermal pads it has to be the correct thickness for the heatsink to sit correctly on the main chip-set.
Make sure you are getting good airflow thru your case.

Jan 11, 2020
@lynx1021 Thanks for your suggestion, i tried to unplug my second monitor and when i checked the temps, they were at 38c, which is completly normal, once i plug my second monitor it goes to 74c, quite strange isn't it?

@Nemesia

They're working, i turn the fans on when i use the gpu for something heavy, usually with the fans off the temp wouldn't pass the 60c mark even with 2 monitors.

Well I would turn them on right now until you find the cause of the problem. There is not much you can do. Clean the dust inside the GPU fan. Make sure your case airflow is ok. After that it's all about removing the heatsink from the GPU and reapplying thermal paste on it. Which is kinda delicate if you don't know how.