[SOLVED] why is intel so hellbent on releasing 2 core 2 thread celerons?

Paulie walnuts1888

Commendable
Jun 3, 2021
does anyone else feel like intel would have an extremely competitive time with a 2c/4t celeron upgrade? (at 50 dollars). i can not believe they still have 2 threads in 2021, even going from 12 to 8 threads i notice a substantial delay in things just using windows lol. quite frankly nothing short of insanity having 2 threads in 2020, even at 5ghz its very hard to call it usable.. if intel made a 4.5+ 2c/4t chip it would be damn competitive. the current celerons have no excuse not to clock that high anyway with their 28 watts per core tdp lol

Solution
Intel already has a segment of 2c/4t (starting with Kaby Lake) processors in the Pentium Golds and have been under $100 at release. Why would they cannibalize their own product segment? There's no real price pressure; the 200GE and 3000G cost more than $100 and AMD's been mostly focusing on the higher-end market. I'm not seeing any kind of real incentive for Intel to release a $50 2c/4t high clockrate chip.

If your Windows is struggling with only eight threads, I'd wager it's more user-error than silicon issue.
D

Deleted member 14196

I agree it’s absurd fortunately for me I never buy their stuff it’s too weak for me in my workloads

DSzymborski

Titan
Intel already has a segment of 2c/4t (starting with Kaby Lake) processors in the Pentium Golds and have been under $100 at release. Why would they cannibalize their own product segment? There's no real price pressure; the 200GE and 3000G cost more than $100 and AMD's been mostly focusing on the higher-end market. I'm not seeing any kind of real incentive for Intel to release a $50 2c/4t high clockrate chip.

If your Windows is struggling with only eight threads, I'd wager it's more user-error than silicon issue.

Reactions: hotaru.hino
Solution
even going from 12 to 8 threads i notice a substantial delay in things just using windows lol.
Sure, and I can tell the difference between 160 and 150 FPS in games...

Setting up windows with one amount of threads and then changing that amount is different because windows is confused on what to do.
If you use two different systems that are both set up with their number of threads you will not notice anything until you run 3d rendering or video transcoding and so on.

On topic:
Intel's biggest customer in volume of CPUs is huge companies buying CPUs in boatloads and as long as those companies are happy with 2/2 and keep buying them to save $20-30 on each CPU, that long intel will keep making them.

Entry lever CPU are used in many technical applications for which you don’t need a powerful CPU.
Morover in certain domains it is forbidden to even use multitasking operating systems , not speaking of multi-threaded CPUs, as is the case in aviation and some medical applications.

They sell the celeron for a couple of reasons:
  1. It makes use of a chip does not test out for 4 cores or hyperthreading.
  2. Some apps are single threaded. G5920 @$60 is comparable to the ryzen 5-1600 in single thread performance and costs half as much. Add in integrated graphics and and it is a good value for some needs.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
does anyone else feel like intel would have an extremely competitive time with a 2c/4t celeron upgrade? (at 50 dollars). i can not believe they still have 2 threads in 2021, even going from 12 to 8 threads i notice a substantial delay in things just using windows lol. quite frankly nothing short of insanity having 2 threads in 2020, even at 5ghz its very hard to call it usable.. if intel made a 4.5+ 2c/4t chip it would be damn competitive. the current celerons have no excuse not to clock that high anyway with their 28 watts per core tdp lol

IMO there are a very large segment of the tooling around on a computer user base that have nothing to compare against budget based systems running two cores and a platter. It's a case of not knowing what you are missing against perceived value.

By the way, good to see another Sopranos fans. My wife and I have have re-watched that series an embarrassing number of times. Heck, I might start it over again later, lol.

Reactions: Paulie walnuts1888

Paulie walnuts1888

Commendable
Jun 3, 2021
IMO there are a very large segment of the tooling around on a computer user base that have nothing to compare against budget based systems running two cores and a platter. It's a case of not knowing what you are missing against perceived value.

By the way, good to see another Sopranos fans. My wife and I have have re-watched that series an embarrassing number of times. Heck, I might start it over again later, lol.
Celerons need a brogane adjustment