why is intel's i5-7600k[91W rated] using an under rated thermal solution PCG 2015C[65W rated]

MTRay

Reputable
May 12, 2014
has anyone else noticed that intel's i5-7600k (91 watts) is uses an under rated thermal solution PCG 2015C (65watts)? i wold hope its a simple typo on intel's website.

i notice this when looked into the details of a sale un 'gaming' PC (the had balls to call it gaming PC and use a i7-7700 instead of an i7-770k or cheaper [and more effective for gaming] i5-7600k)
-- no comments about building your own PC please [because i do], i was just browsing when i noticed this.

genthug

Honorable
That's probably either a typo or the heatsink to use it non-overclocked (which would certainly work).

k SKU processors do not ship with a heatsink, so I assume it's simply there for the rating of what it would need when it was not overclocked.

An i7 7700 is still overkill, and absolutely pertinent, for gaming especially if whomever is gaming also streams, edits, etc. In terms of performance the 7700 will likely be in the range of an overclocked 7600k, if not better due to the hyperthreading.

If you're looking at a pre-built with a 7600k in it and a stock heatsink, it's on there to simply conserve money. No more, no less. They did it to cheap out the same way they do with the other components in a pre-built.

MTRay

Reputable
May 12, 2014
i was under the impression "thermal Solution Specification" was refer to the what they used under the 'lid' and not the cooling fan/ heat sink[i could very well be wrong]. the 7700k lists PCG 2015D (130W), 7700 & 7600k lists PCG 2015C (65W). if it is referring the cooling fan/heat sink then why is it listed for any of the K series to begin with, if it isnt ship with them anyway?

--again i would never buy a prebuilt system for general or a high end PC use case. [i.e. anything with total system( not including perishable) cost above the retail cost of an i5-7600 itself] and the stock cool for an I-series bellow i5-xxxxk is more then adequate.