Why is it so hard to do business with Dell

Last Wednesday I ordered a Dell system through their online ordering system.
The system came to around $2400. During the checkout process I supplied my MC
number. Dell asks if there is a daily limit on the card. Of course, everyone
has a daily limit. Mine was $1500.

Assuming they asked what the limit was I simply figured they would break the
amount up and make two separate withdrawls. Yhey claim they don't access the
funds until they ship your PC. Apparently this is not true as within 3 hours I
received an email advisin me that the credit card comapny rejected
authorization.

I called the bank the next morning and was told Dell attempted to withdraw the
full amount. The failed authorization put my order on hold. So I called the
800 number listed in the email and told there was no problem with busting up
the amounts and doing two separate transactions. The fellow even told me how
much he was withdrawing at that moment and the balance the next day.

After waiting until Saturday and seeing no change in order status and no
activity in my bank account I called Dell to see what the problem was.

I was passed around to at least three people. None of them seemed to
understand what my problem was or how it could be rectified. Finally I got
ahold of one lady who understood, said there was no problem however she needed
to transfer me to another person. After 30 minutes of being on hold I
cancelled my order.

I then received an email from Dell asking me to reconsider and sine I was such
an esteemed customer they would provide me with a $90 coupon to use if I
reordered. They asured me this problem would be rectified if I reordered.

And so I did. ANd the same problem has occurred. I've tried all day to
straighten this simple matter out and no one at Dell has the intelligence to
handle this simple transaction.

Dell is a hi-tech company building hi-tech computers but can not handle a
lo-tech transaction? LOL!

The customer service I have received from Dell over the past few days is the
worst I have ever encountered. It's almost laughable. So screw Dell. I've
just cancelled the second order and tomorrow I'll head down to the store, buy a
case, a power supply a motherboard and all the extras and build my own.

I'll probably be better off anyway.

Consider yourself lucky. I had an order get into a weird status and it took
me over 20 hours on the phone speaking to I don't know how many people in
various depts. only to be told nobody could fix the problem because nobody
had access to all of the information. Seems it required a conference call
between 2-3 people in various depts. to get it cleared. Your situation
seems like a scenario they should deal with many times a day. Sounds like
sheer incompetence on their part.

"Art Vandolay" <av@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
> Last Wednesday I ordered a Dell system through their online ordering
system.
> The system came to around $2400. During the checkout process I supplied
my MC
> number. Dell asks if there is a daily limit on the card. Of course,
everyone
> has a daily limit. Mine was $1500.
>
> Assuming they asked what the limit was I simply figured they would break
the
> amount up and make two separate withdrawls. Yhey claim they don't access
the
> funds until they ship your PC. Apparently this is not true as within 3
hours I
> received an email advisin me that the credit card comapny rejected
> authorization.
>
> I called the bank the next morning and was told Dell attempted to withdraw
the
> full amount. The failed authorization put my order on hold. So I called
the
> 800 number listed in the email and told there was no problem with busting
up
> the amounts and doing two separate transactions. The fellow even told me
how
> much he was withdrawing at that moment and the balance the next day.
>
> After waiting until Saturday and seeing no change in order status and no
> activity in my bank account I called Dell to see what the problem was.
>
> I was passed around to at least three people. None of them seemed to
> understand what my problem was or how it could be rectified. Finally I
got
> ahold of one lady who understood, said there was no problem however she
needed
> to transfer me to another person. After 30 minutes of being on hold I
> cancelled my order.
>
> I then received an email from Dell asking me to reconsider and sine I was
such
> an esteemed customer they would provide me with a $90 coupon to use if I
> reordered. They asured me this problem would be rectified if I reordered.
>
> And so I did. ANd the same problem has occurred. I've tried all day to
> straighten this simple matter out and no one at Dell has the intelligence
> handle this simple transaction.
>
> Dell is a hi-tech company building hi-tech computers but can not handle a
> lo-tech transaction? LOL!
>
> The customer service I have received from Dell over the past few days is
the
> worst I have ever encountered. It's almost laughable. So screw Dell.
I've
> just cancelled the second order and tomorrow I'll head down to the store,
buy a
> case, a power supply a motherboard and all the extras and build my own.
>
> I'll probably be better off anyway.

BigJim

I know people who charge automobiles on their cards, it is your fault for
having the limit.

BigJim wrote:

>I know people who charge automobiles on their cards, it is your fault for
>having the limit.

Note also that requesting authorization for payment is not the same as
charging the account.

>"Art Vandolay" <av@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
>

>>Last Wednesday I ordered a Dell system through their online ordering
>>system.
>>The system came to around $2400. During the checkout process I supplied
>>my MC
>>number. Dell asks if there is a daily limit on the card. Of course,
>>everyone
>>has a daily limit. Mine was $1500.
>>
>>Assuming they asked what the limit was I simply figured they would break
>>the
>>amount up and make two separate withdrawls. Yhey claim they don't access
>>the
>>funds until they ship your PC. Apparently this is not true as within 3
>>hours I
>>received an email advisin me that the credit card comapny rejected
>>authorization.
>>
>>I called the bank the next morning and was told Dell attempted to withdraw
>>the
>>full amount. The failed authorization put my order on hold. So I called
>>the
>>800 number listed in the email and told there was no problem with busting
>>up
>>the amounts and doing two separate transactions. The fellow even told me
>>how
>>much he was withdrawing at that moment and the balance the next day.
>>
>>After waiting until Saturday and seeing no change in order status and no
>>activity in my bank account I called Dell to see what the problem was.
>>
>>I was passed around to at least three people. None of them seemed to
>>understand what my problem was or how it could be rectified. Finally I
>>got
>>ahold of one lady who understood, said there was no problem however she
>>needed
>>to transfer me to another person. After 30 minutes of being on hold I
>>cancelled my order.
>>
>>I then received an email from Dell asking me to reconsider and sine I was
>>such
>>an esteemed customer they would provide me with a $90 coupon to use if I
>>reordered. They asured me this problem would be rectified if I reordered.
>>
>>And so I did. ANd the same problem has occurred. I've tried all day to
>>straighten this simple matter out and no one at Dell has the intelligence
>>handle this simple transaction.
>>
>>Dell is a hi-tech company building hi-tech computers but can not handle a
>>lo-tech transaction? LOL!
>>
>>The customer service I have received from Dell over the past few days is
>>the
>>worst I have ever encountered. It's almost laughable. So screw Dell.
>>I've
>>just cancelled the second order and tomorrow I'll head down to the store,
>>buy a
>>case, a power supply a motherboard and all the extras and build my own.
>>
>>I'll probably be better off anyway.

I have never heard of a daily limit on a Master Card. I have no daily
limits on any of the cards I hold.

Regards,

Jerry Seinfeld.

"Art Vandolay" <av@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
> Last Wednesday I ordered a Dell system through their online ordering
> system.
> The system came to around $2400. During the checkout process I supplied
> my MC
> number. Dell asks if there is a daily limit on the card. Of course,
> everyone
> has a daily limit. Mine was $1500.

The Dell online form was probably asking about this situation.
If you have placed a "fraud alert" on your card, the CC company will place a
dollar limit on the cards daily usage. If any attempt is made to exceed that
amount, you will have to contact them in person before it is approved. This
will also apply to any large single purchase.

In article <I6fSd.8621$0v5.3300@fe07.lga>, zipitydudu@zipitydada.com says...

>Consider yourself lucky. I had an order get into a weird status and it took
>me over 20 hours on the phone speaking to I don't know how many people in
>various depts. only to be told nobody could fix the problem because nobody
>had access to all of the information. Seems it required a conference call
>between 2-3 people in various depts. to get it cleared. Your situation
>seems like a scenario they should deal with many times a day. Sounds like
>sheer incompetence on their part.

Yes, same problem, no one knows anything. You are transferred from one person
to the other. If their CS reps have to deviate from their prepared
scripts....it's a major glitch.

Well so much for their hi-tech online ordering system. As I previosuly stated
when submitting the order and utilizing a bank or debit card they
specifically ask if there is a daily limit on the account. Why certainly,
everyone has a daily limit. One would assume they ask this in order to split
the purchase price up and submit more than one withdrawl.

Apparently it is supposed to be done but the option isn't working. After
several hours and emails trying to straighten this matter out I got ahold of a
young lady this morning who straighted the entire matter out in less than a
minute and deducted 1/3 this morning and a 1/3 the next two days.

I explained the problem came from their online ordering. She advised me several
people had encountered this problem and apparently the option didn't work when
ordering. As you say, this probably happens to everyone who uses online
ordering. Yet they want you to contact the bank and straighen the matter out.
My bank won't raise limits over the phone you have to go to the branch and wait
to see a CS rep and that usually takes an hour or more. I wasn't about to do
it.

Seems Dell is creating much extra work and frustration for nothing.

Really it was quite a laughable situation over a very simple matter.

In article <D-edncbpBPIOD4TfRVn-qA@comcast.com>, woody10277@hotmail.com says...

>I know people who charge automobiles on their cards, it is your fault for
>having the limit.

Hey moron, I have excellent credit and thousands in the bank. The bank set the
default limit when I opened the account. I very rarelyt use the debit card,
this is only maybe the 20th time in over a year with this bank.

I don't use credit cards, ever. I pay cash and haven't had to use a credit
card in over 15 years. It was a debit card. Do you understand the difference?

The default limit is placed in order to protect one from theft and limit
liability. Since the money is in the account there was no problem on my end.

Obviously you do not understand the option Dell provides on it's online
ordering. Turns out it's there for exactly the reason I stated, but apparently
it does not work. Go figure. Some hi-tech company. LOL!

Now go out and charge a meal at Burger King on your card and STFU.

BigJim

no credit card means bad credit that is why people don't use them.
You sound like a person who blames everyone else for your short comings.
A real pain in the ass.

In article <9KiSd.54951$iC4.12510@newssvr30.news.prodigy.com>,
nospam@hotmail.com says...

>I have never heard of a daily limit on a Master Card. I have no daily
>limits on any of the cards I hold.
>
>Regards,
>
>Jerry Seinfeld.
>
>"Art Vandolay" <av@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
>> Last Wednesday I ordered a Dell system through their online ordering
>> system.
>> The system came to around $2400. During the checkout process I supplied
>> my MC
>> number. Dell asks if there is a daily limit on the card. Of course,
>> everyone
>> has a daily limit. Mine was $1500.

BWAHAHA you have a limit! It's just higher then mine. Giddy-uP!

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:29:25 GMT, "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have never heard of a daily limit on a Master Card. I have no daily
>limits on any of the cards I hold.

Turns out the OP was using a Debit Card of all things!
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

In article <XTsSd.12858$fz6.7314@fe03.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com says...

>The Dell online form was probably asking about this situation.
>If you have placed a "fraud alert" on your card, the CC company will place a
>dollar limit on the cards daily usage. If any attempt is made to exceed that
>amount, you will have to contact them in person before it is approved. This
>will also apply to any large single purchase.

No maam, was told it was specifically there so they could break the charges up
and bill in separtate transactions. I was also told it isn't working
properly, there was a problem with it.

>"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have never heard of a daily limit on a Master Card. I have no daily
>> limits on any of the cards I hold.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jerry Seinfeld.
>>
>> "Art Vandolay" <av@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
>> > Last Wednesday I ordered a Dell system through their online ordering
>> > system.
>> > The system came to around $2400. During the checkout process I
>supplied
>> > my MC
>> > number. Dell asks if there is a daily limit on the card. Of course,
>> > everyone
>> > has a daily limit. Mine was $1500.

Interesting, we have ordered 3 computers on line, all paid via MasterCard,
all over $1500, and never experienced any thing like that.
Must be something new at Dell. Our last order was nearly two years ago,
though.

> In article <XTsSd.12858$fz6.7314@fe03.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com says...
> >

> >The Dell online form was probably asking about this situation.
> >If you have placed a "fraud alert" on your card, the CC company will
place a
> >dollar limit on the cards daily usage. If any attempt is made to exceed
that
> >amount, you will have to contact them in person before it is approved.
This
> >will also apply to any large single purchase.
>

> No maam, was told it was specifically there so they could break the
charges up
> and bill in separtate transactions. I was also told it isn't working
> properly, there was a problem with it.
>

> >"WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> I have never heard of a daily limit on a Master Card. I have no daily
> >> limits on any of the cards I hold.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Jerry Seinfeld.
> >>
> >> "Art Vandolay" <av@linuxmail.org> wrote in message
> >supplied

STUBBY

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

BigJIm wrote:
> no credit card means bad credit that is why people don't use them.
> You sound like a person who blames everyone else for your short comings.

Excuse me? I have an excellent credit rating, and I refuse to use credit
cards simply because of the business practices of the credit card
companies and issuing banks. Plus, I refuse to go into debt to buy
anything I can pay cash for.

You, sir, can kiss my hairy white ass.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:12:26 -0800, Irene wrote:

> Interesting, we have ordered 3 computers on line, all paid via MasterCard,
> all over $1500, and never experienced any thing like that.
> Must be something new at Dell. Our last order was nearly two years ago,
> though.

I ordered more than $30,000 in computers on my Amex a couple months ago
and didn't have any problems.

I ordered more than $12,000 of a few computers last month and didn't have
any problem - I've never experienced a "daily" limit on any of my cards,
not even the debit cards.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Like I said neither had we.

We even made a very large down payment on a car using our MasterCard. No
problem at all.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:22:46 -0800, Irene wrote:

> Like I said neither had we.

I was just backing up your statement with my experience too.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Yes, I understood that.

In article <G%tSd.12876$Py7.10447@fe03.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com says...

>Interesting, we have ordered 3 computers on line, all paid via MasterCard,
>all over $1500, and never experienced any thing like that.
>Must be something new at Dell. Our last order was nearly two years ago,
>though.

I've explained it all yet no one gets it. The problem is with their online
ordering and the option which one selcts a daily limit. This is to trigger
their billing department into breaking the transaction into amounts under the
daily limit and ,alking an additional withdrawl. The CS rep told me many
people were having this problem and the function appeared not to be working.

So for a hi-tech company why such a lo-tech problem which causes unneccesary
delay for the consumer? Seems to me they would rectify the situation and avoid
the calls to their CS dept. This was my entire point. A business, especially
one selling expensive merchandise should do everything in their power to avoid
any problems to the consumer and make online ordering hassle free.

That's all I have to say about it.

Why on earth did you check the box that indicated you had a $1500 limit.
Common sense should have told you that it would do nothing but cause
problems.
If you had left it blank and the charge went through, that would have been
the end of it. If the Charge didn't go through, I am quite sure Dell would
have contacted you.

> In article <G%tSd.12876$Py7.10447@fe03.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com says...
>>

>>Interesting, we have ordered 3 computers on line, all paid via MasterCard,
>>all over $1500, and never experienced any thing like that.
>>Must be something new at Dell. Our last order was nearly two years ago,
>>though.
>>

> I've explained it all yet no one gets it. The problem is with their
> online
> ordering and the option which one selcts a daily limit. This is to
> trigger
> their billing department into breaking the transaction into amounts under
> the
> daily limit and ,alking an additional withdrawl. The CS rep told me many
> people were having this problem and the function appeared not to be
> working.
>
> So for a hi-tech company why such a lo-tech problem which causes
> unneccesary
> delay for the consumer? Seems to me they would rectify the situation and
> avoid
> the calls to their CS dept. This was my entire point. A business,
> especially
> one selling expensive merchandise should do everything in their power to
> avoid
> any problems to the consumer and make online ordering hassle free.
>

> That's all I have to say about it.

In article <PHtSd.1326$Sd.350256@newshog.newsread.com>, mjhuffma@pro-ns.net
says...

>BigJIm wrote:
>> no credit card means bad credit that is why people don't use them.
>> You sound like a person who blames everyone else for your short comings.
>

>Excuse me? I have an excellent credit rating, and I refuse to use credit
>cards simply because of the business practices of the credit card
>companies and issuing banks. Plus, I refuse to go into debt to buy
>anything I can pay cash for.
>
>You, sir, can kiss my hairy white ass.

LOL. Exactly my reasons. All my friends are in hock up to their eyeballs and
barely living from paycheck to paycheck and a layoff away from losing it all.
One is about to lose his home over $2300 debt to a credit card company.

I'm very comfortable with the fact I chucked them all in 1989 and went strictly
to cash and debit cards and not one of the monthly slaves to high interest
rates. But then again, I never really used them that much anyway except for
when I was on business trips and reimbursed within a few days by my employer.

Obviously you do not understand the problem. Of course the sale would have
been stopped due to the daily limit.

Again, some common sense very slowly so that you can understand it, the option
exists precisely for the reason that Dell then splits the mount up into
increments smaller then the limit and makes more then one withdrawl on two
different business days.

Dell did contact me with an email. It took 4 days to get ahold of a cs rep who
could manually do what theur option at online ordering does, break the sale up
into smaller amounts, somethign the option at online ordering is supposed to do
or notify them to do.

Obviously you do not understand the situation.

In article <6QASd.18904$Xw2.12108@fe06.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com says...

> Obviously you do not understand the problem. Of course the sale would
> have
> been stopped due to the daily limit.

Obviously, I do understand the problem. IF you hadn't checked the box, Dell
may have or may not have stopped the order. It would depend on whether or
not your bank approved the charge. My bank calls me if they question a
charge and your bank should be doing the same thing. If they don't, I would
change banks so fast they wouldn't know what had happened.
I assume they are not "the only game in town".

In article <ZtKSd.13683$fg.6391@fe07.lga>, girlsrule@hotmail.com says...

>"Linebacker" <linebacker@nolinuxmail.org> wrote in message
>
>> Obviously you do not understand the problem. Of course the sale would
>> have
>> been stopped due to the daily limit.
>

>Obviously, I do understand the problem. IF you hadn't checked the box, Dell
>may have or may not have stopped the order. It would depend on whether or
>not your bank approved the charge. My bank calls me if they question a
>charge and your bank should be doing the same thing. If they don't, I would
>change banks so fast they wouldn't know what had happened.
>I assume they are not "the only game in town".

ROFLMAO! "If you hadn't checked the box" LOL! Again you have no understanding
of Dell's online ordering process nor the ability to understand why the dialog
box is present and what it's purpose is even though it's been thoroughly
explained several times.

It's not a matter of the bank doing something with regard to the order. The
bank is irrelvant. The bank should have to do nothing if you understand and can
follow the reasoning why dell has the daily limit dialog box. It's dell who
processes and submits the order. They simply did not do it in the manner the
online ordering system prescribes. Dell even acknowledges it is not
functioning correctly. The order was screwed up, not once but twice.

So there you have it, you'll just have to accept the facts as Dell CS reps
state. You simply have the inability to understand dell's online ordering
system and the functions. If one calls in the order by phone, the CS rep
processed the order precisely as I have previously stated, they break the
freaking charges up into smaller amounts and process in separate transactions
so the daily limit is not triggered. This is what the the options box on
online ordering is for, it does the same thing. Get it now?

I gave up and have now obtained a case, a power supply, a motherboard, memory,
hard drives, dvd and cd drives, sound and video cards, an LCD monitor and
decided to simply build my own tonight rather then deal with dell or this topic
any further.

This is absolutely funny. I've learned one thing not only are there some
morons at Dell but there are some real lew-lews on the net.

Let me guess this straight. You, apparently, have ordered one computer using
the online order page and had it mess up.
You have a $1500 daily limitation on your card that is causing you and Dell
problems but you can't correct it with your bank. No one else in this group
has been tied up with a $1500 daily limit on their bank cards. Our bank is
very cooperative with us and Dell, causing neither of us any problems.
We have ordered three computers using the online order page and not had any
problems.

But you're the expert.