Question Why is it so hard to find what the wattage rating on a CPU heatsink

In reality, don't use TDP as an accurate figure to determine whether a cooler can handle a CPU. TDP is wildly inaccurate for most Intel chips. AMD's TDP rating is typically closer, but not always 100%.
For example, the Core I9 9900k has a 95w tdp according to Intel. Without any overclocking, it pulls nearly 205 watts running prime 95. Over double its rated TDP!

lynx1021

Reputable
Feb 17, 2016
It is just a pet peeve of mine, I was wanting to change my cooler and the ones I was looking at didn't show the wattage on the sales site or the Manufacture's site. I have tried googling but it seems like the info is not out there for what I was looking for. I remember when I could find a lot more answers on google 10 years ago , now when you search the just want to sell you something!

Gam3r01

Titan
Generally speaking the listed (or lack thereof) TDP on coolers is not very well tied into performance.
Its generally better to look at performance benchmarks of the products to get an idea.

What cooler do you have now, and what are you looking to change about it?

It's pretty easy to guess TDP and performance of air coolers, just look at number of pipes, their diameter and number, size of cooler body (which usually corresponds fan size). More of each and you get higher TDP.
Other things like number and shape of fins is largely a gimmick.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS