Question Why is it taking so long for my disk to defragment?

Mar 23, 2019
Best answers
So the other day it dawned on me that it has been an exceptional amount of time since i carried out any maintenance for my computer, which is now outdated, and so i felt like it was time to do so.

I first used disk cleanup which managed to find and delete 9GB worth of clutter and i then went on to defragment my disk. After analysing it told me my C: Drive was 18% fragmented which is the most i've seen on a computer so i was a bit blown away; nevertheless i carried on and started to defrag.

4 days later, with constant defragging while my computer has been on (i obviously turn it off overnight or when i'm at college) and it has only gone down to 15% fragmentation. A whole 3% in 4 days. What could possibly be making this take so long? Is it my outdated hardware?

Thanks in advance,
Sean

jsmithepa

Champion
Jun 14, 2014
Best answers
Doesn't feel right.

U should stop it and run some kind of tool that will scan the whole drive for CRC errors and whether any files affected. Run a s.m.a.r.t. monitor yet to find out the general health of the drive?

Apr 29, 2019
Best answers
I actually have a similar issue. My computer is apparently 52% fragmented when I ran the analysis on Defraggler. I left my computer on for 24 hours and it is only 2% defragmented. I have an i7-4790 CPU with 32 GB RAM. The hard drive is 1TB Toshiba dt01aca200.

Does anyone have an idea of how long it would take to defrag? I only start to defrag because my MMO game starts to load more than 5 minutes all of sudden.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS