Question Why is Microsoft giving me a .exe file when I try to download the ISO for my OS?

Andross64

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
- Main drive that had the OS on it failed(everything was backed up so it's all good).

- I go to the Microsoft page where you can re-download the ISO to reinstall the OS on your machine.

- My code works fine but...... It gives me a .exe file even though the page says download ISO.

- I need to make a bootable USB drive to install the OS on my new blank drive, and I'm not sure how to do that with a .exe of Windows 7, I don't even know if you can?

This is the page that's giving me the .exe https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7
Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Andross64

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Did you try to open the exe? It may be a Media Creation Tool like you get when downloading Windows 10.

I did, and the .exe seemed to want to start installing the win7 OS on the other computer I was downloading it with. Super weird.
I solved my problem with a win8 disk I found laying around. Was hoping to use win7 as I didn't care for win8 as much, but whatever.
Thanks for the reply Velocity!

I did, and the .exe seemed to want to start installing the win7 OS on the other computer I was downloading it with. Super weird.
I solved my problem with a win8 disk I found laying around. Was hoping to use win7 as I didn't care for win8 as much, but whatever.
Thanks for the reply Velocity!

It should have asked if you wanted to install it on the computer or if you wanted to make a bootable disk from the files, you may have missed that question and just clicked Next.

TRENDING THREADS