[SOLVED] Why is my 3070 underperforming?

Jul 5, 2022
Hi there, I recently purchased a MSI GEFORCE RTX 3070 GAMING TRIO X, and since the purchase, I have noticed an increase in performance (Relative to my old card, an RX 590) however not to my expectations. More specifically, I noticed that my framerate was not as high as the benchmark videos I had viewed, running the same or similar configuration as me.
Important information I should note is that the GPU and CPU temps are fine and that I play at 1080p resolution.
My specs are as follows:
Mobo: ASUS ROG X570-F (Running at latest BIOS)
CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X
GPU: Mentioned above
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB (2x8 GB) 3200MHz
PSU: Corsair RMX 750W

Example of this underperformance:
1. I did the Uniengine Heaven Benchmark and got a score of 4039 while on this video, where the user is using the same GPU and CPU as me: www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4EYOnTepEo&t
I am aware the user has undervolted their GPU and I did the same thing as them but did not show an increase in performance.
Any help is greatly appreciated and more information can be provided if necessary.

Solution
There's assumptions on your part. Mainly that the gpu is the issue. Fps is cpu. If his fps is higher than yours, then he's done more than undervolt. Set pbo, using ram that's been timing optimized, higher fclock, Gen4 NVMe, there's a bunch of stuff that's all cpu related that the video doesn't go into.

YouTube videos only show 1 thing. What's possible. They do not show what's probable because every pc is different. He has same cpu/gpu. The rest of his settings, global settings, startup and background running apps, Antivirus etc will all be considerably different.

Your 3070 isn't underperforming, his is just tweaked to a higher level.
Jul 5, 2022
post picture of gpu-z
unknown.png

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's assumptions on your part. Mainly that the gpu is the issue. Fps is cpu. If his fps is higher than yours, then he's done more than undervolt. Set pbo, using ram that's been timing optimized, higher fclock, Gen4 NVMe, there's a bunch of stuff that's all cpu related that the video doesn't go into.

YouTube videos only show 1 thing. What's possible. They do not show what's probable because every pc is different. He has same cpu/gpu. The rest of his settings, global settings, startup and background running apps, Antivirus etc will all be considerably different.

Your 3070 isn't underperforming, his is just tweaked to a higher level.

Solution