[SOLVED] why is my 3600 still hot?

Aug 9, 2020
I got a new cooler today and when i look at my temps using cupidhwmoniter its gon down quite a lot(like 15c)
But my temp keeps on spiking randomly and i dont know why and i dont know if it will effect my cpu's performeance or something.
Maybe i did not put enough thermal paste?
And yes i have heard about undervolting but that can effect performance.

My cooler cooler master 212 black edition
cpu: ryzen 5 3600

Solution
I got a new cooler today and when i look at my temps using cupidhwmoniter its gon down quite a lot(like 15c)
But my temp keeps on spiking randomly and i dont know why and i dont know if it will effect my cpu's performeance or something.

You didn't say what actual temps were and are now, down 15c means nothing as there's nothing to compare to. In general, you want Ryzen to run between 62-65c at load eventually up to 70c and that's for best turbo boost results. Over 80s and you will be bale to see performance drop.
Undervolting may not necessarily bad thing...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
"Why is my 3600 still hot?"
It's a compounded result:
-the boost behavior of Ryzen 3000; really bursty chips they are! They also like the number 80C...
-the thermal density TSMC's 7nm chips
-the temperature of the air entering your cooler

It's normal - get used to it.

The purpose of thermal paste is a bridge, and not cooling - that's the job of the heatsink and fan(s).
If you didn't do it correctly, then you'd have seen thermal runaway to the critical limit.

You didn't say what actual temps were and are now, down 15c means nothing as there's nothing to compare to. In general, you want Ryzen to run between 62-65c at load eventually up to 70c and that's for best turbo boost results. Over 80s and you will be bale to see performance drop.
Undervolting may not necessarily bad thing specially if heat causes slowdowns which lower voltage can partially cure without much of loss. One popular way of kinda undervolting is setting negative voltage offset which lets voltage scale up and down as needed. -0.05 to 0.1v should do it.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution

TRENDING THREADS