[SOLVED] why is my 5700 xt running so hot?

sosnek

Commendable
Jan 9, 2020
I have the msi gaming x 5700 xt dual fan. Its one of the best 5700 xt's out there in terms of cooling, yet i have trouble keeping it under 80 deg C while gaming. After I bought the card, I first noticed that the fans were limited to 40% in the radeon software, before that it was running even hotter, around 88-90 degrees. I've also added another case fan to my pc hoping that would solve the temperature issue, but it only made a small difference. Any other ideas or tips that could help would be appreciated

specs:

case: phanteks p400

cpu: 2600x liquied cooled

psu: evga 750w gold

mobo: auorus x470

ram: gskill 16 ddr 4 3200

storage 500gb ssd samsun x 2

Solution
I always recommend testing with the side panel off the case. But you've probably gotten the same result by removing the front panel so your fans could breathe easily. Assuming you've now got two front fans as intake, and one rear fan as exhaust? Are you confident in your ability to identify the airflow direction of a fan? (just have to ask).

Tightening screws on the back side of the GPU is next step.

After that, you've got a couple choices. If you're comfortable with it, you can take off the cooler and re-apply thermal paste. If not, you can see if they'll accept an RMA.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
What's the clock speed look like? Running at 80C is perfectly fine. You want the most possible performance out of it, so it will ride the throttle point as close as it can.

Obviously, lower is better, means there is zero chance of a throttle.

Temperatures improve with the side or front panel off? Not the best case for airflow ever made.

sosnek

Commendable
Jan 9, 2020
What's the clock speed look like? Running at 80C is perfectly fine. You want the most possible performance out of it, so it will ride the throttle point as close as it can.

Obviously, lower is better, means there is zero chance of a throttle.

Temperatures improve with the side or front panel off? Not the best case for airflow ever made.
yea i get that 80 deg is fine, but its more about the fact that other people with the same card are getting in the 65 range, which makes me wonder what is different about mine. I removed the front panel when testing and yes, there was about a 5 deg drop in temps which is why i added that extra case fan near the front. But even though that didnt help much I dont want to take off the front panel since it keeps the dust out.

I was watching hardware unboxed video about an asus graphics card that had a loose heatsink which resulted in really bad temps, and i guess I thought a similar issue may have happened with me, but before I take it apart and inspect it i wanted to gather as much info as i can in case i find something else

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Different chassis, different fans, different ambient temperatures. Do you have air conditioning? Winter/Summer. Benchtest from a cold boot, after the GPU/CPU heatsinks are saturated. Only testing the GPU? Ideally people would give a little more information with the temperatures they post. Most reviewers go with open bench test to level the playing field.

Worth a shot to try quickly tightening the screws around the GPU to see if it does anything, don't force it though. Can't imagine bad thermal paste application, but it is possible.

Reactions: sosnek
I always recommend testing with the side panel off the case. But you've probably gotten the same result by removing the front panel so your fans could breathe easily. Assuming you've now got two front fans as intake, and one rear fan as exhaust? Are you confident in your ability to identify the airflow direction of a fan? (just have to ask).

After that, you've got a couple choices. If you're comfortable with it, you can take off the cooler and re-apply thermal paste. If not, you can see if they'll accept an RMA.

Reactions: sosnek
Solution

sosnek

Commendable
Jan 9, 2020

i've got three fans at the front as intake fans, one in the back as an exhaust and one at the top as an exhaust. But i do believe the three at the front are being choked due to the front panel. I think i will try reapplying thermal paste and see if that helps.

sosnek

Commendable
Jan 9, 2020
Different chassis, different fans, different ambient temperatures. Do you have air conditioning? Winter/Summer. Benchtest from a cold boot, after the GPU/CPU heatsinks are saturated. Only testing the GPU? Ideally people would give a little more information with the temperatures they post. Most reviewers go with open bench test to level the playing field.

Worth a shot to try quickly tightening the screws around the GPU to see if it does anything, don't force it though. Can't imagine bad thermal paste application, but it is possible.
I'll try to reapply thermal paste and see if anything is loose along the way