Question Why is my 6600xt underperforming ?

Sep 3, 2021
Hey there few days ago I got my hands on a new gpu rx 6600 xt 8gb, I run it with amd ryzen 5600x and 16gb ram but I feel like I dont have enough performance if it makes sense, from benchmarks I watched I should be getting solid 70fps on RDR2 ultra 1080p but when I run it i get around 53fps. Could anyone help me out and tell me what might be the problem? :) Thanks
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600x
Motherboard: B550 Tuf Gaming ASUS
Ram: HyperX 16gb ram 3200mhz
SSD/HDD: SSD 1TB Samsung evo 970
GPU: AsRock Challenger OC XT 6600X
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus 650W Gold
Chassis: Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Last edited:
Hey there few days ago I got my hands on a new gpu rx 6600 xt 8gb, I run it with amd ryzen 5600x and 16gb ram but I feel like I dont have enough performance if it makes sense, from benchmarks I watched I should be getting solid 70fps on RDR2 ultra 1080p but when I run it i get around 53fps. Could anyone help me out and tell me what might be the problem? :) Thanks

How many sticks of RAM do you have and what speed are they running at? (What MHz?)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the age of the PSU as well. BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing? Does the issue crop up on any other gaming title? Which slots are the ram populating on the motherboard? If the build is brand new and the GPU wasn't replaced with another model and your OS is up to date, use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then manually download the latest drivers from AMD's support site, reboot the system to Safe Mode, then reinstall your GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

If you are new to Red Dead Redemption 2, you won't know that many parts of the game run slower than others and you will almost never get a solid constant fps unless you locked fps to 30.

When I was still using my R5 2600 and GTX 1070, I set my graphics setting to give me up to 60fps in the places with lower fps and usually dipped down to low 50s. It was usually good enough settings to reach 70-80fps in other places. The benchmark tool will show you some regions that you will get the lowest fps. Also consider that weather will make your fps dip even more like on the snowy section at the beginning of the benchmark.

I should also note that even with my now current 5600X and RTX 3070, I still get fps dips in the same places as before, but with even higher graphics settings.

Reactions: potkanpes
Sep 3, 2021
If you are new to Red Dead Redemption 2, you won't know that many parts of the game run slower than others and you will almost never get a solid constant fps unless you locked fps to 30.

When I was still using my R5 2600 and GTX 1070, I set my graphics setting to give me up to 60fps in the places with lower fps and usually dipped down to low 50s. It was usually good enough settings to reach 70-80fps in other places. The benchmark tool will show you some regions that you will get the lowest fps. Also consider that weather will make your fps dip even more like on the snowy section at the beginning of the benchmark.

I should also note that even with my now current 5600X and RTX 3070, I still get fps dips in the same places as before, but with even higher graphics settings.
Yea I understand, I guess ill have to try other games and see if the performance is poor or no

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Did you look at system specs the benchmark was using? Processor/gpu may be the same but what about ram speed? Gpu driver accounts for a lot too so hopefully tester included details.

Can ya run userbench site and link results page here please

Reactions: kurdtnz
Sep 3, 2021

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Even if I have slower rams, doesnt really makes sense that i have 20fps less for me...

Well it's what he's getting with 3600 ram but i suspect other differences though because even though 400Mhz is a lot in Ryzen world, 20fps is a bit steep. There would be improvements though however. You probably know, Ryzen likes fast ram, multiple chiplets inside the processor communicate together using system ram, so faster ram (with in spec) quickens cpu ipc which then means cpu can service gpu better.

Circumstances between yourself and benchmarker are never identical, hardware or software. Differences can be anything from chipset, gpu drivers, gamebar, fullscreen optimisation, gpu driver level optimisations and ohio_buckeye pointed out population density/ different areas. Red dead isn't optimised very well, that's well known, but it's a great game. There would be some settings you can try turn down to gain more fps.

Reactions: potkanpes

Joseph_138

Distinguished
I edited the post with my whole setup

But you didn't actually answer the question of how many sticks of RAM you have. If it's 16gb, all on one stick, you aren't getting dual channel performance. Same if you have 2 sticks, but they aren't in the correct slots. The RAM slots should be color coded so that you put the RAM sticks in the right slots for dual channel.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
But you didn't actually answer the question of how many sticks of RAM you have. If it's 16gb, all on one stick, you aren't getting dual channel performance. Same if you have 2 sticks, but they aren't in the correct slots. The RAM slots should be color coded so that you put the RAM sticks in the right slots for dual channel.

Might not have seen userbench link but details on ram is there. 2x 8gb. True, dimm slots matter. I suspect they are in 2nd & 4th slot from cpu, otherwise xmp won't be as easy.

Sep 3, 2021
THANKS everyone ! I seemed to find the solution... I updated my bios reinstalled drivers and chipset and it runs smoothly now above 60FPS, I really appreciate u everyone!

TRENDING THREADS