[SOLVED] Why is my 6900xt underperforming ?

Dec 2, 2021
Ok so I have recently upgraded from a 1660 super to a 6900xt. I have a:

MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk MOBO,
a ryzen 7 3700x,
6900xt
a 850w Corsair psu.
Most recent version of bios.
Vsync off.

I am trying to play apex legends at 1440p at 165hz, but my fps is not stable or anywhere near what I’ve seen other gamers with similar specs have. I can’t seem to hold 165 stable even on low settings and high settings I get 100-120 fps and it even drops under 100 sometimes. Keep this in mind that everything’s on the lowest settings and my friend said his 2080 super performs better than mine in 1440p. I guess I just expected my card to smash apex legends in 1440p with stable fps at least on low settings considering the 6900xt is supposed to be the top shelf card in the amd market. My thermals and everything are normal all drivers recently updated. Did a windows reset and reinstalled everything so I’m not sure what else to try.

Solution
Could be a number of things in all honesty. Hardware or software.

What's the RAM? Also if you had a 5000 series AMD CPU you could take advantage of AMD's Smart Access Memory or S.A.M. Which would most definitely increase overall performance. Out of everything you are only missing the zen3 cpu for that. Just need 6000 series AMD GPU, 500 series MoBo and 5000 series CPU for the feature. Just a thought.

Are you using any "Game Booster". These can help with FPS due to stopping dozens of background processes. For me when i use IObit's ASC's Turbo Boost, it stops 67 processes. I usually see around a 10% boost in everything overall. From FPS, stability, load times, and sometimes even lower cpu temps (higher temp spikes, but lower average)...

JinxTheWorld

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021

What's the RAM? Also if you had a 5000 series AMD CPU you could take advantage of AMD's Smart Access Memory or S.A.M. Which would most definitely increase overall performance. Out of everything you are only missing the zen3 cpu for that. Just need 6000 series AMD GPU, 500 series MoBo and 5000 series CPU for the feature. Just a thought.

Are you using any "Game Booster". These can help with FPS due to stopping dozens of background processes. For me when i use IObit's ASC's Turbo Boost, it stops 67 processes. I usually see around a 10% boost in everything overall. From FPS, stability, load times, and sometimes even lower cpu temps (higher temp spikes, but lower average).

There are a number of things that need to be considered when getting into the higher spectrum of hardware. Even small changes can have a profound effect on the user experience. Sure, i am not a overly techie person and there is a lot i don't know. However, there's a point to be made when i can get a stable 100-120fps at 1440p high/ultra in Halo Infinite on a Ryzen 5 5600x and 3060Ti (8gb). Only reason im not running all ultra is due to lack of VRAM. Textures-High=6100mb | Textures-ultra=7600mb .... lol

Anyways try a game/turbo mode of some kind and see what that does. I recommend ASC's turbo boost from IOBit. Never had a single issue with it, and all it really does is stop unnecessary things from running in the background which you can also fully customize what is stops. Which also allows the CPU to devote more of its processing towards gaming. It's kinda hard to find a software based turbo boost that doesn't have any negative downsides lol.

Solution
Dec 2, 2021

Are you using any "Game Booster". These can help with FPS due to stopping dozens of background processes. For me when i use IObit's ASC's Turbo Boost, it stops 67 processes. I usually see around a 10% boost in everything overall. From FPS, stability, load times, and sometimes even lower cpu temps (higher temp spikes, but lower average).

There are a number of things that need to be considered when getting into the higher spectrum of hardware. Even small changes can have a profound effect on the user experience. Sure, i am not a overly techie person and there is a lot i don't know. However, there's a point to be made when i can get a stable 100-120fps at 1440p high/ultra in Halo Infinite on a Ryzen 5 5600x and 3060Ti (8gb). Only reason im not running all ultra is due to lack of VRAM. Textures-High=6100mb | Textures-ultra=7600mb .... lol

Anyways try a game/turbo mode of some kind and see what that does. I recommend ASC's turbo boost from IOBit. Never had a single issue with it, and all it really does is stop unnecessary things from running in the background which you can also fully customize what is stops. Which also allows the CPU to devote more of its processing towards gaming. It's kinda hard to find a software based turbo boost that doesn't have any negative downsides lol.
I appreciate the reply! So basically a ryzen 9 5900x or something would really help performance? I’m devastated in the performance I’m getting right now as I recently spent about $2500 upgrading my system to have unstable fps on low settings.

The performance does not look right. Can you run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results. This might point at what is underperforming.

I run a 3700x, 2x16gb 3600mhz RAM and a RTX3080 and mainly game at 1440p. This combination works very well, yes a faster cpu can squeeze out an extra 10% or maybe even 20% FPS in some games but with the performance I am already getting it doesn’t really matter.

JinxTheWorld

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
I appreciate the reply! So basically a ryzen 9 5900x or something would really help performance? I’m devastated in the performance I’m getting right now as I recently spent about $2500 upgrading my system to have unstable fps on low settings.

Any 5000 series will work for S.A.M.

The Ryzen 7 5800x is on sale right now and is a very good CPU.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124628149567

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Ryzen-5800X-16-Thread-Processor/dp/B0815XFSGK

Though like i said try out the ASC Turbo Boost and see if that helps any. It's free, and you can be testing in under 15 minutes.

Dec 2, 2021
The performance does not look right. Can you run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results. This might point at what is underperforming.

I run a 3700x, 2x16gb 3600mhz RAM and a RTX3080 and mainly game at 1440p. This combination works very well, yes a faster cpu can squeeze out an extra 10% or maybe even 20% FPS in some games but with the performance I am already getting it doesn’t really matter.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/48369988

Reactions: helper800
I completely reset windows so all the drivers and everything were wiped
That is not how you do it. Resetting windows almost always causes more issues instead of solving them. You either do a new clean installation or you leave it as is (I am talking about issues with windows, NOT a specific driver issue).

Use DDU in safe mode to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers.

Dec 2, 2021
That is not how you do it. Resetting windows almost always causes more issues instead of solving them. You either do a new clean installation or you leave it as is (I am talking about issues with windows, NOT a specific driver issue).

Use DDU in safe mode to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers.
Damn I called the company that made my pc and that’s what they suggested to do.. what should I do from here? Use DDU now to uninstall and reinstall?

Sleepyyyy21

Honorable
Apr 15, 2016
I had a similar experience with my 6900xt paired with a 5800x, from testing i found that amds software was my issue, using msi afterburner for ocing improved my fps, in battlefield 2042 i barely managed 90fps (after wipe and driver only, high 150s on ultra settings, ghost recon breakpoint also saw double fps improvement) after ddu and installing only the driver, seemed to help, also my gpu wasn't being utilized with amds software, without it, 99%

Specs
5800x 4.7ghz all core
Asus b550 f gaming
Gskill trident z royal 3600mhz 16 16 15 36
Gigabyte 6900xt waterforce

Dec 2, 2021
I had a similar experience with my 6900xt paired with a 5800x, from testing i found that amds software was my issue, using msi afterburner for ocing improved my fps, in battlefield 2042 i barely managed 90fps (after wipe and driver only, high 150s on ultra settings, ghost recon breakpoint also saw double fps improvement) after ddu and installing only the driver, seemed to help, also my gpu wasn't being utilized with amds software, without it, 99%

Specs
5800x 4.7ghz all core
Asus b550 f gaming
Gskill trident z royal 3600mhz 16 16 15 36
Gigabyte 6900xt waterforce
So you stopped using amds software? Is oc’ing fairly straight forward? I’ve never done anything like that as I’m quite a pc novice

Reactions: Sleepyyyy21