[SOLVED] Why is my 75hz display lagging on any fps lower than 120

xxdxder

Commendable
Nov 5, 2018
I had this monitor couple of years ago and since the day i bought this its screen tearing was unbearable unless im playing at 120+ frames. Recently i oc it to 75 which solved a lot of my issues including screen tearing even at 200 frames. But i cant understand one thing, how is my 75 (former 60hz) screen can tear at the proper frames it was designed to ? I have always asked this question to my friends and couldn't get a answer, plus the company didn't care at all. Monitor's model is Samsung LS27F350FHMXUF

Solution
Should be the other way around really, higher fps would equal more frames dropped from screen. You know those scribble books creating motion by flicking pages? Take 2 or 3 pages out say between every 5 page intervals and that's what you'll get, that jitter look. I guess 75Hz is fast enough to hide missing pages but i bet if i looked close enough id see tearing.

Anyway, try vsync on and limit fps to 74, 1 fps below refresh and see what that looks like. I used to do this on a 60Hz tv and couldn't notice input lag at all and im an avid fps player who hates input lag.

Ive since moved to gsync and i won't go back to regular monitors

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure what you mean by design, tearing isn't a design feature, it is an anomaly which happens when frames aren't synced to screen and can happen below or over refresh rate. I don't think you meant it this way though, it's just how i read it.

Tearing is more noticeable when frames are over but sometimes people think tearing is less when frame rates are closer to an even ratio or refresh is sort of quick enough to make it bearable. Ie 120fps 60Hz or 140fps 70Hz, with every 2nd frame giving the appearance of being smoother but there's still missing frames the screen was unable to refresh in time.

Purpose of variable refresh monitors is to display frames as they happen from the gpu instead of using a fixed refresh rate and vsync to minimise input lag.

There's different Vsync types to try help tearing but if you're happy with how things are then that's fine. To view all frames your gpu is capable of dishing out, the monitor needs to be able to keep up. If Vsync input lag is an issue there is a trick you can try by limiting frame rate 1 below refresh.

Last edited:

xxdxder

Commendable
Nov 5, 2018
Not sure what you mean by design, tearing isn't a design feature, it is an anomaly which happens when frames aren't synced to screen and can happen below or over refresh rate. I don't think you meant it this way though, it's just how i read it.

Tearing is more noticeable when frames are over but sometimes people think tearing is less when frame rates are closer to an even ratio or refresh is sort of quick enough to make it bearable. Ie 120fps 60Hz or 140fps 70Hz, with every 2nd frame giving the appearance of being smoother but there's still missing frames the screen was unable to refresh in time.

Purpose of variable refresh monitors is to display frames as they happen from the gpu instead of using a fixed refresh rate and vsync to minimise input lag.

There's different Vsync types to try help tearing but if you're happy with how things are then that's fine. To view all frames your gpu is capable of dishing out, the monitor needs to be able to keep up. If Vsync input lag is an issue there is a trick you can try by limiting frame rate 1 below refresh.
yeah the problem is, closer i get to the refresh rate to my monitor; worse it gets. Ie I can play league of legends at 180-190 frames but below that makes the game choppy, laggy.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Should be the other way around really, higher fps would equal more frames dropped from screen. You know those scribble books creating motion by flicking pages? Take 2 or 3 pages out say between every 5 page intervals and that's what you'll get, that jitter look. I guess 75Hz is fast enough to hide missing pages but i bet if i looked close enough id see tearing.

Anyway, try vsync on and limit fps to 74, 1 fps below refresh and see what that looks like. I used to do this on a 60Hz tv and couldn't notice input lag at all and im an avid fps player who hates input lag.

Solution

xxdxder

Commendable
Nov 5, 2018

i will try that thanks

Remember that FPS is dynamic; unless frames line up exactly with the displays refresh window, you will get tearing. The farther you are from an even multiple of that refresh window, the worse tearing will be.

Vsync solves the tearing problem by forcing only complete frames to be sent to the display, but causes input lag if you miss the displays refresh window. For each refresh missed, you effectively halve your FPS. [EG: A game running at a constant 59 FPS would only display 30 FPS on a 60Hz display as every other refresh window would be missed].

The downsides of Vsync are why Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) displays are now a thing; instead of relying on a fixed refresh rate, the display will display an image whenever the image is sent to the display. No tearing, no input lag.